1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 problems with 1995 Suzuki Carry HELP!

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by kfrank, Aug 29, 2009.

1. kfrank

kfrank New Member

I am new to the mini truck arena so please be patient.

I just bought a 1995 Suzuki Carry and have 2 problems. First problem is the owner told me that he had the clutch replaced. It shifts into 1st thru 5th pretty good but going into reverse it has trouble. The previous owner said that the clutch cable needed to be adjusted. Is this true? It grinds going into reverse?

Second problem is that the ac isnt blowing cold. When I got it home i tried to charge the system and it wouldnt take any R134. Compressor never started? i called the guy back cause he said it might need some R134 and he said it might need a new orifice tube cause the old one might be clogged.

Are new ac compressors available for this year model? Also, what is the best way to adjust the clutch cable and does anyone think that is the problem with the grinding into reverse?

Thanks,
    Kenneth

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I've never worked on a mini with AC but I have worked on plenty of other vehicles and when the freon charge is too low the low pressure switch won't let the compressor start. When this happens you have to unplug the low pressure switch and put a jumper wire in the plug and charge until you have a low pressure charge of at least 30 psi. Then plug the switch back in and charge normal.

On the tranny grinding how much free play does the clutch pedal have?

3. NoExpert

NoExpert Member

My 92 grinds a little going into reverse. I've found it grinds when the clutch is pressed all the way down to the floor. If I let up on the clutch maybe 20% it will shift smoothly into reverse. It doesn't really effect the truck's function and is more of an idiosyncrasy then anything else. I'd be interested in a "how to" thread to adjust the clutch to get rid of this.

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

with the a/c problem i would take it to a shop that does a/c. with my daihatsu (and some other vehicles) i have tried the do-it-yourself kits and didn't have much luck. it seems that there was pressure in the system, but not freon so it wouldn't really take a charge. but after taking it to jiffy lube, where they purge the system first then refill, they all worked perfectly.

as far as the clutch goes... as mentioned before... how much free-play does the pedal have at the top? should be about a half inch maybe 3/4" tops. if there is more play than that it does need to be adjusted. my daihatsu (again, along with other vehicles) would grind if i pushed it into reverse. but if it feels like it's bound up, or doesn't want to go in, just ease up on the clutch and you will feel the gears align, press the clutch all the way down and it will slip in.

5. zardoz

zardoz Member

I have to agree with Milt, to do a top notch job on the a/c you really should have access to a manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump (when servicing a/c you MUST get ALL moisture out of the system). I bought a used vac pump off kijiji in the spring to install a bunch of "mini split" aircons. Since then I used it for quite a few vehicles... money well spent ;)

z

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

As far as the clutch problem I think you have some trial by error stuff to do. If your not happy with it or it doesn't go away with not putting the clutch all the way down to floor then I would get it replaced.

The a/c stuff I would take it to someone that knows what they are doing. That will save you alot of headaches in the long run

7. kfrank

kfrank New Member

thanks

I appreciate all of the feed back. I really enjoy the mini as well as this forum. Now that the temps are falling the ac isn't such a big deal as it was in August however, I am determined to get it working.

I am continuing to mess with the clutch but having same problem. One of those deals where the guy I bought it from said he just replaced the clutch and that it "just needed some adjusting". Pretty sure that guy was full of it.

With that being said, I can deal without ac for deer season, but when I was at the deer lease last week and it was raining and humid and a little cool I found out that my defroster didn't work either, so needless to say my windshield was foggy the entire time. So this afternoon I re-routed the air ducts and now have heat and defroster!

Again thanks for all of the input, I will keep working to get the Mini the way i want it!
    Kenneth

8. jarret321

jarret321 New Member

I also have a 95 Carry, I was having the same issues with the reverse. I let someone else drive it and they tried to force it into reverse when I wasn't in the truck. Needless to say they bent the internal forks. Fast forward I took the truck to a local tranny shop and he tore into it. Tried to get parts and by the time they all added up I bought a used transmission. with that put in, same issue (also did a clutch rebuild). When talking to the transmission guy he told me that there is no synchro for reverse. So there for any drifting forward will cause it to grind. Be sure to come to a complete stop before shifting into reverse. I occasionally have still have a problem getting into reverse, and found that by simply shifting into a forward gear then back into reverse it normally works. Hope this helps you out.

9. kfrank

kfrank New Member

Hmmm

That is exactly what mine is doing. I have to put it in a forward gear and then go to reverse quick before the clutch starts turning again. Not sure if it is the clutch that turns but when i put it into a forward gear "something" slows down and then I can get it into reverse without any grinding.

I suppose just having the clutch cable adjusted isn't going to fix this problem?

10. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

That's very common on many cars /trucks...synchros ready for the gear after whatever you were in when you came to a stop. Shifting in to a different forward gear then reverse usually makes it all good.. My daihatsu does it, my miata does it, most cars I've ever owned have prob done it at 1 time. I think it's very normal to happen sometimes. Very doubtful clutch adjustment will help

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  11. draggbody

draggbody Member

your truck does not have an orifice tube it has an expansion valve... it is behind the glove box towards the door... i recently worked on one of these and of course parts are scarce, so i was resourceful, i put laquer thinner in it for about 30 minutes... cover the holes and shake it up real good, then let it drain... i reinstalled it and vac'd down the system for 30 minutes and the air blows ice cold....

12. kfrank

kfrank New Member

A/C

Did you have to take it to a shop to have a vacuum pulled?