1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

+2 or +3 wheels

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by oldsnowman, Aug 13, 2008.

1. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi Everyone
    has anyone up-graded there wheels to a +2 or +3? i am going friday to try on some 14x6 wheels, they should fit. if someone has any idea's for wheels that will work, please let me know.

oldsnowman

2. Subaru

Subaru Member

On what truck
    any lift?
    what size tire

3. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

the truck is 1992 mitsu, the tire i plan to use for the 14" is a 165/60-14 OD is 21.78in, stock 145/80-12 is 21.14in no lift

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I have found a few good tires in 14" size.

One is a Kuhmo 165/65/R14 KW19 winter tire that I haven't seen in the flesh
    but it almost looks like it might be good in the mud as well.
    See post # 7 here ----->>>> http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?p=15682#post15682

Another tire I'm interested in is the Nokian WR G2 series - they make it in a 155/65/R14 which gets the O.D. [21.9 inch] down even closer to stock.
    Nokian web site here ---->>>> http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_wrg2.aspx?season=winter
    It's a pretty aggresive all season asymmetrical inside-outside tread pattern,
    Iv'e seen this one at a local tire shop in a bigger size and it looks pretty good.

Nokia also make a model called Hakkapeliitta 5 snow tire that is pretty interesting.
    Also available in the 155/65/R14 size [22.0 inch]

The 155/65/R14 is exclusive to Nokia and new on the market but it almost seems tailor made for kei trucks.

5. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

the wheel will be wider and have a different offset. make sure that it clears the front when turning hard. you get a different arc and the edge can hit even with the same diameter. this is what messed me up on my + 7 wheels, so i went back to a + 3 (175r50/13 inch tire )

6. BLES

BLES Member

The Hakks are great snow tires but can't stand gravel. I ran these year round on my '95 Impala SS 'cause I wanted the big, wide 17" tires all year. We get lots of snow and it was a daily driver. I've also had/have several Nokian "tyres". They're decent too.

BLES

7. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

thanks for the info
    the wheel i am trying on my truck tomorrow are 14" x 6" with a offset of +35 thin 7 spoke by core racing and the model is the EVO-7. this wheel being a 14" is a +2, i was hoping to go to a +3 (15") but 15" wheels only come in, that i can find, 6.5' wide with a +38 to +40 offset so i had to stay with +2 14" wheels, this truck will not ever be off road or driven in the winter so the tire will a pure summer 160/60-14 but are really hard to get.

oldsnowman

8. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Try 165/65/R14 that might be more common, I know at least one brand makes that size.

9. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

thanks for the info, you are right but a 165/65-14 is too tall (22.44") because i do not have a lift so i to stay under 22.0". 165/60-14's i can get but the guy said it would be 3 months, i just said "are you sure you can get them". as you know once you finely find something that will work cost and time is not a factor.
    thanks
    oldsnowman

10. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I'm pretty sure that Colin is running 165/65/R14 on his Sambar with no lift.
    Added info: Actually Colin runs 175/65/R14 with no lift on his Sambar.
    And the specs on stock rim are: 12 x 3.5B lugs: 4 x 100 offset: +40
    hub hole: 58 mm edit: Actually it needs a rim with a bore hole of 59.1mm which is the same size as Nissan Sentra rim

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  11. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

if you forget about what they advertise and use how the tires are sized going from a 60 series tire to a 65 is almost negligible.

the 165 means 165mm (6.5") of tread (this does not include the side wall which is typically wider than the tread)

the 60 means 60% of the tread width (3.9") is the sidewall (from the rim to the top of the tread)

R means radial

14 is the size of the rim

so if you do the math the tire is 21.8" high, theoretically, of course.

and if you do the math you might find that a 5% difference in the sidewall is negligible.

12. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi Milt
    i know it does seem like a lot but the engine cradle will touch the tire at rear of wheel well on tight rights or lefts. since i posted this i have been working on this whole tire thing, i have made a jig with all the specs of the tire and wheel and bolted it to the roter and found that the 165/60-14 is the only tire that won't touch the cradle.
    for a really good tire sizing tool go to www.1010tires.com
    for info the first 3 number's in a tire size (165) is the section width, this is the widest part of the tire, the tread is narrower

thanks
    wyatt

13. Mighty Milt

i just bolted 185/65r14 on my truck, the only thing they rub is the little rubber mudflap splashguard. a razor knife will fix that quickly. it has given me a little more overdrive than i wanted but i still cruise nicely at 120-125kmh on the hiway... looks like my day so burrying the speedo needle are gone though.

i must admit the ride quality is much better with the larger tire, doesn't seem to beat me up as bad as the 12" bicycle tires that are stock.

14. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

what kind of wheels did you use, offset? do you have a lift?
    wyatt

15. Mighty Milt

no lift, yet, i'm working on building maybe a 1-2" lift, they wheels are from a mazda miata, i had to use special lugnuts because the holes are so far inset. i got the rims, brand new tires and lugnuts from a guy on craigslist for $220...

[​IMG]

16. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

that is pretty cool ;)
    how is the front wheel travel? what was the stock tire size?

wyatt

17. Mighty Milt

tires don't rub when they travel, but they don't travel much at all, i think i'm going to go with new springs rather than a spacer kit. stock tires were 145/80r12

i used this converter http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html for figuring out what would work well as far as how far off my speedo would be... and honestly i think it's accurate now, i think it was overclocking before.

18. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

what is your bolt pattern, width of wheel, and offset?

thanks
    wyatt

19. Mighty Milt

20. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Those look great. I like a nice, simple 5 spoke wheel. On anything.

21. Mighty Milt

thanks ace, i'm the same way, simple 5 spokes. it was actually hard finding something that isn't really ornate.

22. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i checked that site and your wheels are +45mm 14-5.5, this wheel would never fit on a mutsu. you must have a lot lest stuff in the front end behind the wheels. the wheels i found are 14"-6" +35mm and that is smallest offset available in Canada that i could find, and they just clear the strut by 1mm. the OD of the wheel is 7.125" and the tire (165/60-14) is 6.5" section width on a 5" wheel, so the section width on a 6" should be about 6.8". i have done a lot of research on this now so if some is has a mitsu and wants to make a street truck out of it, this combo will work with out any lifts or spacer and without too much change in the speedo. hope this helps someone

wyatt