1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2" Lift on my 95 Carry....sort of

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by ShawnC, Dec 12, 2020.

1. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

I'm still fairly new to the mini trucks and the forum but figured I would post my experience with trying a 2 inch lift on my 1995 Suzuki Carry. After reading info from here, I decided I wanted to replace the front springs with 300lb springs and put a 2 inch lift on my truck. I knew there was a chance I would have some camber issues after the lift but I plunged forward anyway. Once I installed the new springs and 2 inch lift with camber adjustment and did a poor man's alignment, the camber was still off. I bought camber bolts and adjusted it to the max but it was still off a bit but I thought it would be okay.

I had an appointment at the dmv to get the carry inspected for title and that was really the first long drive I had since the installs. Well, once I got to 70kph, the dreaded death wobble started, thought the truck was going to come apart and I was going to lose my fillings. Made it to the dmv, got inspected, called a buddy and we trailered it back.

Needless to say I was frustrated. I had the lift for looks because I'm just running yokohama super diggers on stock wheels that I powder coated black and I didnt go with bigger tires so I decided to take out the lift. Started with the front and once the spacers were removed, I realized the new springs lifted the front of the truck probably 1 1/2 inches. I left the rear lift shackles on the truck and it is pretty level and the camber issue is gone. Did another alignment and tried another test drive. Drove it 20 miles, up to 80kph and no death wobble. Problem solved for me. Truck still looks like it has a lift, no camber problems, drives great. May not work for everyone but worked for me.

Double M Farm and Limestone like this.
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Shawn,
    I'm glad that you decided to post this like I asked you to, in our private Conversation, in our inbox! This is great info., that needed to be shared with everyone! You've done a great job explaining what you've done! For me personally, I'm strictly off road, and don't expect to experience the death wobble, that is truly, Un enjoyable! With that being said. These Mini Trucks, are used and enjoyed by many different people, in many different situations! That's why this info you posted, will be very informative, and use full, to many, currently, and down the road! Some, owners use their unit's on, and off road! Making it all the more valuable information to try to find the right combination for lifting or not! Don't be afraid to add some pics! The members would appreciate it. Stay active, as I see you as a welcomed member! Thanks again for posting, and adhering to the forum rules of posing your Sig., in your profile!
    Limestone

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I think the stock springs are around 115-125-lb/inch, (Hijets are at 115-lbs/inch stock). So three hundreds is a big jump. That’s why I went with a progressive spring.

That way the truck sits pretty close to the 2-inches of lift I added, regardless of whether it is loaded or has the snow plow on the front.

4. Heiny

Heiny Member

Yes good info. I have heavier springs on and no strut lift. I experienced the death wobble awhile back and discovered the steering bushing was worn. I installed one from G &R and so far it works fine.

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

That's a good point, Heiny! If your going to do work on you front end, which is critical to highway driving, you need to check out everything! Sometimes when checking out the front end, linkage, and pivot points. It's easy to be fooled! You have to get a little aggressive in your inspection, and really exert some force to get the parts to show you if their worn or not!! I really learned that on the Heavier Equipment. We'd use a Hydraulic porta power set up to create force full situations, and try to replicate what the potholes in the road would do! Other times it's easy enough, where the worn out part will show up pretty easily! My point, go the extra mile, and don't assume, that just because it looks okay, it might no!
    Limestone

6. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

Good to know, thanks

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

Struts wear out. My driver's side strut was like there was no valving going on in it at all you could just push the shaft in and pull out with next to no resistance. Passenger side was good. I would get a wobble around 90kph and at around 100 it would come out of it. I run Mazda RX7 13 inch rims and 165 tires slightly taller then the stock can't remember the aspect ratio.