1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 blowen head gaskets on 1 tank of fuel

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by ozark-2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ozark-2

ozark-2 New Member

I have a 95 mini cab 3g83 I had it rebuilt awhile back. My brother has a machine shop with 30 years exp. He done the work. He is asking me to post this for help. He has not messed with these mini trucks much. Did a full rebuild surfaced the head copper coated the gasket torqued the head bolts to spec. Ran good for 2 or 3 days then blowed the head gasket. Went back in seen a little sign between cylinders. took the head to another machine to get a better finish on the head surface. After a 1/2 tank of fuel the head gasket is gone again. We have compression going into the cooling system then when it sits water goes back into the cyl. We did not get new head bolts. the ones we had looked good and the place where we get parts said that was never a problem with these. Any Ideals If you need more info let me know and I can get with my brother and he can tell me what you need to know. Thanks Terry

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

It doesn't seem logical to me but Suzuki,at least,says no sealant on gasket. Are you sure the block is true? I'm sure your brother checked this but I'm just fishing here.

3. ozark-2

ozark-2 New Member

I ask him the same thing and he said it was within .001 or .002 which the gasket should take care of that. And that is what we are doing is fishing. Thanks.

4. okiecat

okiecat Member

Ive been down this road too. Mine is setting in shop right now ready to put back in for third time. Sounds like you done everything right. Why did you rebuild it, let me guess using oil and smoking alot. If it was getting hot need to check for bent valves too. Also this time are you sure you got the radiator and engine berped. It will air lock it not elevated in the front while filling. This will blow that gasket fast. Radiator is too small in my opinion. Hook up a water temp guage before the next start up. Also i dont know if it maters but on the thermostat there is a weep hole that I indexed in the top position. Thought it might help bleeding air. Let us know how it goes.

5. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

stupid question but did you prove your water pump is working. oil pressure is ok. and your thermostat is working. Start with thermostat. boil in water watch it open on stove top. go from there. I feel for you brother. very frustrating
    Tony