1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Batteries?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by RICAHRDT, Feb 26, 2008.

1. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

Can you add another battery on these trucks? TO run wiches & ligthts etc..

2. draggbody

draggbody Member

before i went to that much trouble, i would just buy an optima and put in it... keep in mind the amount of amps your alternator....

3. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hi Richard,

Yes, you can, but the biggest obstacle is where to safely mount it.

I plan on adding a second battery with a solenoid style switching system this summer. We hunt a lot at night running spotlights with the engine off so an extra deep cycle battery with a selectable isolation switch works well.

dragbody is right, the Optima batteries are a great choice. They are stronger than necessary and can be mounted on their side or at angles if necessary to gain clearance.

I just put an Optima red top in a '99 Suzuki. Still determining where to put the yellow top. Probably on the frame right behind the cab where some of the older models mount batteries.

gbrad

4. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

battery

:cool:yes, but i was thinkin like you adding a switch. and either mounting it opposite side of the truck. Where can i get the switch? Marine place? what size optima battery did you get? Yea i was thinkin mainly for extra lights we have cattle and sometime we need to check them at night and if there is a problem, than all the lights we can get is nice. and its just nice to have a little extra. Hunting at night eh? sounds illegal

5. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  6. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hunting at night with spotlights for predators is legal in Texas. Year round. Coyotes and cats can cause some troubles for wild game as well as domestic livestock. We also let the Game Wardens know we will be out at night.

The solenoid switch I use on my Suburban is very similar to a fender well mounted starter solenoid you see on Fords. However, I got the highest amperage rating I could find so I remember I did have to special order it from Napa.

I guess you could get it from anywhere. The main thing is to spec is a high amperage one. Unlike starter duty, which is momentary you will be using it for continous duty so it needs to be rated higher.

I also use a yellow top Optima for those circuits. I put a rotary switch that works the coil of the solenoid and some relays for various switching, isolate secondary, charge primary, charge both, or jump start primary with secondary.
    Painless Wiring has a kit you could buy. I just built mine.

gbrad

7. draggbody

draggbody Member

8. Ak thrower

Ak thrower Member

Can anyone tell me ... How many amps do they put out ??

Thanks
    Bret

9. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

GBRAD i was just messing with about the night hunting. we don't get that opp. in La. to hunt yotes at night. althought they do give me sleepless night at times. awhat size battery do you use? same as what's on there or a regular car battery. And yes i've been to a few sites that have the battery switch . doesn't sound to bad. i think i'll just switch batteries. Have lights & a winc on my 4-wheeler with the same lil ole battery.
    thanks though.

10. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hey RichardT,

No problem. Most people think hunting at night is illegal even here in Texas. I figured you were messin with me.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the Optimas only come in one size. I have been getting them at Sam's Club and they only have one size. They do make three types. Red top = starting. Yellow top = Deep cycle. Blue top = Marine, starting and deep cycle.

I just put a red top in my '99 Suzuki.

Ak thrower, the Cranking amps are 1000, the Cold Cranking amps are 800, and Reserve Capacity is 100. Model number is SC34U.

If you were asking about the alternator output, I don't know for sure. I think around 40 to 45 amps rated, which means about 4 to 10 amps at idle.

gbrad

11. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

THANKS GBRAD, so its pretty much a normal car/truck battery? did you your just en-larged the orginal battey compartment? or make a new one ? What i have is a "93" Carry

12. gbrad

gbrad Member

Well, on mine the battery mounts below the front passenger seat. So all I had to do was bend down one metal tab in the tray holder and then mount the Optima on it's side with the side terminals facing up.

The battery is strapped down tight and there is actually more clearance between the bottom of the seat and the battery than there was before. It fit like it was made for it.

The Optima batteries are the physical size of a large car battery. Much larger physically than what came with the truck.Here are a couple of pictures.

Attached Files:

13. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

RE

Ahhh i see , Yea mind has a large lawnmower battery in it or seems to be. but i can build a new holder/box for it. And speaking of that. its loaded on the trailer right now to head to the shop because of the last time i took it out the starter quit and i could smell the burnt something right before. like i over loaded the started or something. can't say. Thats what brought me to changeing out or added a battery. that and lights, radio & a winch. So i can put a car battery in this truck Hmm. my battery is in fornt of the back tire easy to get to or make bigger.
    thanks man