1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 U62T driveline cleaning and service questions

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by uwantsumofthis, Jun 28, 2016.

1. uwantsumofthis

uwantsumofthis New Member

I just got my first mini kei truck. It's a 1999 Mitsubishi u62t. I know nothing about these trucks, but I am mechanically inclined to enough under stand, and ask questions.
    I bought a used mini and it feels like the drive line is ceased up a little. I can park it on a incline good enough for my mr2 to free roll down, but my mini will not free roll. I have to get out and push hard for it to roll, only for it to stop again when I stop pushing.
    When I drive it down the street, it feels like every thing is pulling back when I let off the gas. I know I have some other motor issues to work out, but I waned to tackle smooth free roll first since the drive line is more important and more expensive. Here is what I'm thinking it might b. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong, or add anything I might have left out.

I know I have to clean under the truck. Looks like the previous owner went mud ridding. Every thing on the bottom is caked up with dirt.
    I don't know the last time the diff and tranny fluids where changed so do u think that would b a good time to change?
    After cleaning I will inspect every thing to make sure no bearings or any major moving component needs to b replaced or rebuilt? What components should I pay more attention 2?
    Also the previous owner said it was a 7" lift on the mini. Come to find out it has a 2-2.5 aftermarket lift with a home made lift on top of the after market lift. I know this is why the front tires chamber is off, but could it bind up the drive axles going to the diffs?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Sounds like the extra lift may be causing the axle joints to be operating outside their designed working angles. This will cause the joints to bind and to wear out prematurely if not immediately. You said it was operated in deep mud I would drain & change out the lubes in the engine and all gearboxes & axles. If there is any moisture or especially rusty colored stuff come out of any gearboxes or axles the bearings may already be compromised. It is best to try to stay ahead of things if possible helps to keep small problems from becoming big problems.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  3. theguide

theguide Member

These are notorious for the front brake calipers sticking, I just rebuilt mine.

4. uwantsumofthis

uwantsumofthis New Member

Seems to b the problem, front right caliper locked up.

5. theguide

theguide Member

20160729_152240.jpg 20160729_152443.jpg1.jpg I have several places that I get my parts from but this is the website to get the manufacturer part number and then I use that number to do my searches.

http://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/mitsubishi/minicab-9348/u62t-20053/hnsa2-625886

Then I take that part number and go to this website to shop

https://www.amayama.com/en/search

I've never had a problem ordering internationally. If your vehicle is just like mine the model number on the door jamb tag should read U62T HNSA2 if so this is the parts breakdown website above is for your vehicle. I just rebuilt both front calipers last week and it was $26.66 for the two seal kits and $21.50 shipping from Japan but still way cheaper than if bought here in the states. The part number you are looking for is MR475901 SEAL AND GASKET KIT (qty 2 for both calipers) I hope this helps and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I love my little truck!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  6. kaleb osborn

kaleb osborn New Member

how are you guys achieving this level of a lift on the front of these? all i can seem to find online is two in lift kits.

7. Outpost603

Outpost603 New Member

A lot of folks are running home made lifts either on top of or instead of the two inch lift.

You can also get some extra height by swapping out the front springs so .75"-1.5" from springs and 2 inch from the spacers. Just keep in mind your driveline angles.

Fomocoguy likes this.