1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 Hijet won’t start

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by shopteacher, Sep 15, 2020.

1. shopteacher

shopteacher Member

fullsizeoutput_2409.jpeg fullsizeoutput_240b.jpeg Hi everybody,
    I have a 98 S110 that won’t start after sitting for a couple months. Run great up to that point. I don’t think it’s getting fuel through the carb. It has a mechanical fuel pump that put out a full hose when being cranked. It will start and run on a shot of ether till the ether is used up. I’m thinking the fuel shut off solenoid isn’t working. I unscrewed the solenoid and connected it directly to 12V and get no movement. I assume the white and the black wire are pos and neg. Is this the right way to test it? There is also a unit at the bottom of the carb that another black wire from the same terminal goes too. I don’t know what it is. I think I have the right piece that’s the solenoid, but hope somebody here can confirm it from the picture. The second photo is the other unit with a black wire going to it? Any thought or advise greatly appreciated fullsizeoutput_2409.jpeg fullsizeoutput_240b.jpeg

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

That looks like an idle cut solenoid. The purpose is to keep the engine from dieseling at shutdown. When the key is off it goes forward and blocks the idle jet, so you aren’t getting any fuel, and you can’t run on with the key off.

The other unit is the bowl vent control, it opens with the ignition off, and lets the vapors from the evaporating fuel go to the charcoal canister. When the key is on, it closes the bowl vent, and connects the line to constant vacuum to draw the vapors back out of the charcoal, and into the engine where it can be burned.

The best way to check the solenoid, is to do what you have and just hook it up to dc power and see if it activates. You could try shooting a bit of carb cleaner in the ports to see if it will loosen up.

3. shopteacher

shopteacher Member

I did clean around the needle and it moves freely, but it did before cleaning also. When I add 12V to the 2 wires coming from the back of the solenoid nothing happens. So I assume this is not working and need replaced. Would this keep the truck from starting if its not working? Do you know where I can get a replacement? Thanks for your response your information is very helpful.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Without the idle circuit working it will be very hard, or impossible to get the engine running. You could see if you can find some kind of plug to replace the solenoid, and try starting without it in place. Or, just cut the nose off the solenoid and use it as a plug. If you really need to stop run on, it’s pretty easy to just shut down the engine and leave it in gear..

P.S. please add the details of your truck to your signature line, like Limestone and I have. It makes it easier for us to give you advice. Thanks.

Patayote and Limestone like this.
  5. shopteacher

shopteacher Member

Thanks again. If this isn’t the problem do you have any idea what it might be or things I can try? I was thinking of rebuilding the carb, but it starts easy with a shot of ether I don’t know if that would help and all those vacuum line are quite intimidating.

franky d likes this.
  6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Buy some colored silicone vacuum line, and start replacing the lines one at a time. Yellow, orange and blue work well, because you can write on them with a Sharpie. I used red for the vacuum lines to the 4wd system. There really isn’t a way to mess that up, so you don’t need to mark them.

Next thing to try would be to check the charcoal canister. They will go bad, and muck things up.

Also, GR Imports has a very good trouble shooting page on the trucks, Regarding what to check before you blame the carb. They are also, the only place I have found a rebuild kit for the carb on the S110 Hijet.

7. shopteacher

shopteacher Member

I found that solenoid on Yokahama Motors page they want 186.00 plus shipping. I think I’m going to try and plug it first and see if it will start as you suggested. Do you happen to know how to tell if you have a EFNS or EFGS engine? I need to get a service manual. I had one another person here on the forum emailed me but I can’t find it and may have gotten deleted.

8. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

“Edit
    oops
    Jigs said this before “:confused:
    Did you put 12v to the solenoid to see if it was clicking and moving ? Had one get gummed up and it was sticking in its seat . Sprayed it up and let it soak a bit and works fine since . Also is it a 1 or 2 wire unit ? Check for 12v+ on the wire if one wire and both a 12v+ and a ground too .

9. shopteacher

shopteacher Member

The end of the solenoid moves freely. It has 2 wires a white and a black. I tried 12v pos to one wire and her to the other, nothing, then switched polarity and still nothing. Then I tried neg to the case and pos to each wire and nothing. Assume coil inside is shot. I can’t believe this thing is worth almost 200 dollars. I know parts for these trucks are pricy, but this is rather ridiculous. That almost half of what the whole caeb cost rebuilt. Anybody know how to tell a EFNS form A EFGS?

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

The EF-NS is the single cam, 6-valve, carbureted engine produced from 94 to 96, and the EF-GS is a dual overhead cam, 12-valve, carbureted engine produced for the Hijets beginning in 96 to 2000, when all Hijets got the fuel injected version of the EF series engines.

The GS had the compression ratio increased From 9.5 to 10:1, and gained 1-kw, and 2ft/lbs over the NS series.

The Danko manual covers both engines. It is lacking a lot of information, that a real factory translation would have. But, it is the best available.

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

On your solenoid, have you checked resistance with a multimeter, to see if the coil is still ok, or if it is shorted?

12. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

13. ttc

ttc Active Member

did you find the pn for the fuel cut off soilenoid? i maybe able to find you a cheaper source, worst case i would get a drill bit the same size as the hole and drill through the plunger inside

14. ttc

ttc Active Member

15. Jigs-n-fixtures

Have you tried calling carburetor rebuilders? I got the needle and seat for mine by calling a shop in Idaho Falls, which rebuilds carbs. And, describing it to him.

The Aisin carbs, and the Daihatsu engines were put into a lot of industrial applications you might not expect, and the shops that rebuild things can sometimes source things from US and European wholesalers, which we don’t have access to.

16. ttc

ttc Active Member

you need a good shop with a good parts guy... these are hard to come by

17. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

You can also just thread the solenoid out a bit and get it to run that way without cutting anything. I just got through dealing with a similar issue with my 93 s83p. I ended up just drilling out the plunger like ttc said and running it that way, it runs fine and doesn't seem to have any issues with run on when I kill the ignition. I believe those solenoids were mainly used to cut fueling during decel for emissions purposes more than anything.

18. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Shop,
    I remember testing mine, and 12v to the black and white to ground, and it was clicking in my hand!
    Limestone

19. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

I have a 1998 with the EFNS engine... The engine type is embossed on a silver coloured metal plate under the driver's side below the seat.

20. Ryano

Ryano New Member

I have a 1998 hijet that set for a while...Got it to start but went ahead and changed carb now won't start only has two vacuum ports on carb that I hooked distributer vacuum lines to...the rest I guessed no start...

21. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Just a few comments on the fuel cut solenoid:
    Like Limestone says, you should hear or feel it clicking when power is applied.
    if the solenoid is not working, the engine should still start on the choke circuit. It will run fine until the choke starts to open, then it will begin to stumble and stall. You can also drive the vehicle above an idle, and keep it running by pumping the accelerator pump when you need to stop.
    If you cannot get it running at all, you may not be getting any fuel into the float bowl - stuck float valve - try giving it a few wacks with a screw driver handle.

22. Ryano

Ryano New Member

23. Ryano

Ryano New Member

Yah a new fuel sylnoid came on new carb when I put power to it nothing happens...I installed aftermarket carb and Iam getting fuel took carb off left fuel line hooked up and gave it throttle and it sprays but with electric fuel pump hooked up inside my tank when I hold it say half throttle shouldn't a continuous spray come out and say more if you give it more like when I pump the throttle it acts kinda like a squirt bottle would...If I stop say 3/4 open gas stops spraying if that makes sense lol

24. Jigs-n-fixtures

A carburetor draws fuel from the float bowl only when there is air flow through the Venturi, to create a vacuum to pull it through the jets and passages. It will not “spray” fuel unless the accelerator pump comes in to play.

Continuous fuel injection, will spray all the time.

A pulse fuel injection system will inject pulses of fuel, based on the cam position as the engine rotates.

Limestone likes this.
  25. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

A Great explanation Jigs!
    I couldn't have explained it better or simpler!
    Limestone

26. Jigs-n-fixtures

And on my 94 S110, the grounds are white, or white with a black tracer.

The carburetors with the two solenoids have one for the main jet, and one for the idle circuit. The Idle circuit one is used to prevent dieseling at shutoff..

The one in main jet is part of a governor system, which pulses in and out of the jet to limit top speed. I’m not entirely how the control system for it works. My truck doesn’t have one, so I haven’t had any need to figure it out.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    Limestone likes this.
  27. rjsiii

rjsiii New Member

On my Hijet s80LP I have tested the fuel idle solenoid. It works fine. However I have ran a multimeter on the line and it never has 12V running to it? When is that solenoid supposed to get current?

28. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Mine ( 1992 S83P ) is powered by one of the 10A fuses, so check if one of them is blown. I had a problem with my VSV for the purge canister, and It kept blowing the fuse, which also fed the shut-off. Once I fixed the electrical problem the fuel shut-off works fine.

29. rjsiii

rjsiii New Member

Seriously!!! You were right!!! I redid a bunch of electrical including all the fuses a month or so ago. I didn’t even think to check them again. Thanks for the tip!

also what is a VSV?

30. Jigs-n-fixtures

VSV Vacuum Switching Valve. They can be vacuum controlled, thermostatically controlled, or electrically controlled. The one for the EGR valve, is thermostatically controlled, beccause you don't need the exhaust gas recirc until the engine warms up, enough to produce nitrous oxides, then the EGR circuit opens to cool the combustion and decrease the NO production.

The VSV for the Air Conditioner Idle speed step up, is electrically actuated, and only bumps the throttle when the A/C compressor clutch is engaged.

There are a couple which switch vacuum when other vacuum circuits have a certain level of vacuum. On the stock carb for my S110, there are four ports in the Venturi, and they are used to generate vacuum based on throttle position and air flow through the carb. And they are use,