1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1997 Mitsubishi No spark!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by MiniTruck, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

Its been awhile since ive been on here. But yesterday my 1997 mighty mit stopped running and it appears it has no power coming from the coil. it has power going to the coil. ive read on here this appears to be a common problem. Ive tested the coil and even took one from my old ford but nothing. on here in other posts it talk of fusible links? either i cant find mine or they are gone. the model of my truck is #UI4TQHPDL2M and engine 3681. DAN PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME OF YOUR VAST Mitsubishi experience. :frustration:. i use this truck daily and really need it.

2. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

btw it is a left hand drive truck. and my friend has i guess since im no electrican has check the ignition box and i guess he says its fine. when it quit it just kinda loss power and would not even pull its self then no spark turns over fine getting about 10 volts at coil while cranking over.

3. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

After a long frustrating day no luck fixing the mit. is thier somehow maybe the distributor could be the problem like a ignition modul? if so whats it look like and where is it?

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the ignition module is inside the dist. here's a photo of one installed and a pic of the part...do a search on the forum for the module I remember finding the part # and posting it a while ago..it's fairly easy to get .

Attached Files:

5. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

thanks for the reply, could that cause it to not have spark? im fairly new to mini trucks but after a year of it id assume drive it then my 4wheelers. this forum is very helpful to me but ive searched and tried everything except these 30 and or 50 amp fuses that i cannot find. im working hard to fix it cause i use it to play and to work lol being only 2wd it pulls great and hauls alot and better yet it fits on my trailer with my hinomoto e16 tractor when working.

6. fupabox

the ignitor module would definitely case a no spark if it's bad...not sure where the main fusible links are in your truck.. this diagram shows it under the dash

Attached Files:

7. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

ill try and find them tomorrow thanks. so if that would cause me to get power to the coil but none to come out? if im correct that module tells the ignition when to spark? meaning grounding the coil causing the current to take the open route through the coil wire to the cap and making the plugs spark? im more of the mechanical type not electrical so ive learned best to do lots of research or pay alot to fix burnt wires.

8. fupabox

correct...it is the trigger for the coil

9. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

o k thanks ive read on here of what other cars have the same one so my parts store should have em, now is there a way of testing the module? i guess if its that and i have to buy a new one one ill be ok cause i got if for free its alittle beat up but runs good and im ok with it only doing 25 mph cause legally i cant drive it on public roads here but i do cruise around on dirt roads with 4wheelers and look so cool doing it. ill check that asap. another unrelated question if the guy i got it from put a after market fuel pump on it would that be ok? cause it seems like it floods out at idle? ive read on here they usually have low fuel psi and im sure this pump puts out more psi if so i could install a fuel pressure regulator to solve it?

10. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

this is what it looks like under my distubitor cap. does this mean my truck has points? if could they be burnt out/ cause it just acted like it had no power then quit and would not refire.

Attached Files:

11. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

ok after doing some more searches on here ive found to look for the year on a tag on the seatbelt and it appears mine is a 1992 not a 1997 as i was told. here is a picture of the vin tag ifthis helps anyone to help me.

Attached Files:

12. fupabox

on the Japanese trucks 1991-1997 are all the same...I'm guessing that since yours is a US sold version it has a different type of ignition...it isn't a points type though..the small black box is the trigger as it is in the photo I posted..the difference is the ignition module yours could be on the coil ...have you checked the coil yet? I'm betting that's your problem

13. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

yes ive tried 3 different coils and to be sure i hooked em all to my 89 carburated ford and found i kept a pos super coil that was bad. but the original coil in my minitruck is firing fine.and im getting power to the coil its just not leaving the coil odd as it may seem.

14. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

"HALL EFFECT SENSOR"

Easyest way to check it, is to change it out. If your lucky, that will be it. Should be.

Sorry, don't mean to be the Monday morning Quarterback, I just happen to know a little.

15. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

oh no bring the whole team if it gets me going..is this the little box in the distributor cap? if so is this something i could get at a local parts store? ive got all of em close and get parts tax free at advance auto. if so is their a cross referance number?

16. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yes, the little black box. Just what Fupa has been describing as the problem in general; just that your distributor has the hall effect sensor (from your pic) as apposed to a points set with condensor, or module... I just happen to know a little about it.

I agree with Fupa that this is where your problem is, from your description, and this is the specific system that you have.

PM Don, better yet give him a call; for a new part. You could prob get it from one of our north american mini truck yards "used"; but I wouldn't recommend it, and you'd prob have to buy the whole distributor anyway.

Anything but an OEM Japanese number'd part, will just NOT WORK RIGHT in this case.

I know that you're going to ask some more about this so, let me just say:

This is a very rare part. It should out last the life of any truck, but when it goes..it goes, it just happens. You will not find a cross reff # and you will not find a match at any parts store. You can order it from Japan, or from a mini truck parts dealer...that will order it from Japan. Or you can get it from a mini truck parts dealer that has a scraped truck in the yard identical to yours.(they will sell you the whole distributor, cuz it's no good without the part!)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  17. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

So that little box acts like a magnet and when the oil pump turns the shaft in the distributor every time the little fins pass the magnet it sends a signal to the ignitor box then in turn it ground the coils causing it to fire? im just trying to see how such a simple system could be so complicated. can this be tested before i buy new? if so how? cause ill test it tomarrow and if bad ill call asap. thankyou very much im learning more and more from this forum.

18. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yup,

As far a I know, they can't be tested....we can't, anyway. I've tried in the past...ohms, voltage drop etc..bunch of other stuff..none of it works...brought one to a dealer once...subaru...they told me that only the manufacturer can test them on the production line...but that was 20 years ago..so, who knows?

19. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

ok so contact Don or Dan? and a number would help.

20. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

21. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

ok just incase before i order this part is there possible a fusable link somewhere that could be causing my issues? If not im contacting him in the morning.

22. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

So today i did the test in the manual that i guess pertains to my hall affect sensor and still no spark. So i guess thats whats wrong with.

23. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

So im waiting on a reply from japan on my part will let yall know on what happens

24. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Wow, interesting exchange. I had this sensor go out on a 1979 Subaru once. If you let it sit for 20-30 minutes it would self-heal, then the engine would start and run for a long time. Once you turned off the engine it would fail...until it cooled down and healed again. This went on for some months and then it finally failed completely. Sounds like yours just failed completely. Do let us know what transpires it could always help out another owner!

25. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

now that you mention it a few months ago i did have a problem with it dying after i drove it awhile but it only did it a few times in a week. I sure hopr this fixes the problem cause this is the only problems ive had from my free mini truck and i sure miss driving and using it. I had to use my quad and haul a little trailer to move pine straw and leaves "how uncool" i need my truck going its got a radio and makes the days goes much faster

26. MiniTruck

MiniTruck New Member

Well ive finally got a reply on my part and it is expensive i think it more than my truck is worth. So Im open to options maybe someone one here my have the part or a whole distributor or something i could buy if anyone has a option please by all means let me know. Maybe redoing the whole ignition and doing away with the governor since all my part does is trigger the coil.

27. towdady

towdady New Member

little help mine did the same im still trying to get it going

28. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

We stock the mitsubishi minicab ignition module

29. rynow

rynow Member

yeah i have narrowed my vans issues to either the ignition module which looks readily available cus it's part number J121 and in a wackload of vehicles.
    However when I open my dist cap it looks sealed. Is there a way to open it up an look for the Hall sensor?

Did i read this thread right...the Hall sensor is easily found domestically? My manual says it's the crank sensor inside the distributor but
    give no info on what to do if it fails.....only how to test it with equipment i dont have. :sly:

any ideas? anyone...anyone...

Thanks

Attached Files:

30. fupabox

fuel injected or carb. doesn't matter...either way unburned fuel should wet the sparkplugs if there is no ignition...that plastic cap under the dist. rotor comes off,,the ignitor is under that cap