1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1997 Carry stalling.

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Heiny, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Heiny

Heiny Member

I bought a 97 Suzuki Carry a couple weeks ago and have done plugs, cap, wires, rotor sea foam in tank and new fuel filter. It was running fine last weekend and then this weekend I went to start it and now it dies three to four seconds after starting. Plugs aren’t fowled. If I try and give it gas it doesn’t increase rpm but prolongs stall another second or two. It seems to me like it isn’t getting fuel, I removed gas line and turned key and it has good flow to carb.

Could it be trash in jet? Electronic gas shut off malfunction?

What should I look at next?

2. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Assuming electric fuel pump, it will prime for a few seconds, but is reliant on a rotational signal from the distributor or cam/crank sensor to keep pumping afterwards. Mine had a hidden fuel pump relay that gave me a similar issue right before I junked it.. and of course I only found it right before they came to haul it off. It was unlabeled, and towards the rear on my Carry.

If your carry uses the old style diagnostic port, jumpering +B and Fp will bypass any signal requirements, and direct run the fuel pump. (If relay and fuses are good)

3. Heiny

Heiny Member

Thanks Don, where would this port be? I am going to try removing gas line at carb and see if it will pump fuel for awhile. How much fuel should come out of the return line back to the tank? Mine doesn’t have but a few drops.

4. Heiny

Heiny Member

Well it is back to running normal. I really didn’t do anything except shoot extra gas from a large syringe into the carb while starting to increase rpms for about 30 seconds with my foot on the gas pedal. I had removed the gas line and noticed it only pumped for about a second when I turned on the key. I hoped that maybe it wasn’t idling fast enough to trigger the rotational sensor you mentioned. When it ran out of the gas in my syringe at high rpm it took over and ran by itself. Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

Thanks Don so much for your response, you saved me time and money.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019