1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1995 honda not running right

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by gatewayminitrucks, Sep 2, 2007.

1. I have a 95 honda that will not run at an idle. It will start and run fine as long as you are on the gas, even slight gas will keep it running. I have not yet changed the plugs but I have however put a new fuel filter on and it seemed to make no difference.

Any suggestions?

2. Youngauto

Youngauto Member

Could be that the distributor needs a clean or you do need new plugs / plug wires.
    I would change the plugs first to see if that makes a difference, clean under the cap to make sure the points are connected and see if that makes a difference.
    :)

3. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

1st check and see if it is fuel injected. If it is, then you need to clean the throttle body and the IAC (idle air control valve). If it is not FI, then you need to check the choke on the carb and make sure it is not stuck. You may also want to check the throat of the carb and make sure there is no carbon buildup in there.
    Does it high idle for a few minutes when started cold?

4. I would check for a vaccum leak. If it is carbureted it could be the idle circuit in the carburetor is clogged.

5. I adjusted the idle up and it stays running but it is running at a high rpm now. I am putting an air filter in it when it gets here from chad. I am going to put plugs in it this weekend. It is not fuel injected. I have tried to check for vaccume leaks and have come up with none so far. How do I tell if the choke is stuck? "I am not a carb man, I never have been good at messing with a carb."
    Thanks for the help guys.

6. chadhite

chadhite Member

Mike,

All these trucks have liquid warmed chokes and will idle fast at first. Hondas will idle faster than the other trucks for about the first 10-15 minutes. If you are not accustom to a Honda it sounds like the truck is screaming and going to over rev.

To check if the choke is sticking, check the plugs. The plugs will have a heavy black fouling on the plug with a stuck choke.

Give the truck, even in hot weather about 10-15 minutes to idle down. Adjust the idle after the truck is warm and you will be happier with the result.

Your Honda Acty air filter is in the mail as of this morning. It should arrive by fedex in the next day or two.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007