1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 Suzuki DD51B 4x4 issue

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Brad Waddell, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Brad Waddell

Brad Waddell New Member

Hi all. I'm going to start this out by saying that I'm no mechanic but have a general understanding of most things and can usually figure it out with time. So my mini dumper last year had a new front differential and 4x4 shift cable installed. All has worked great until last week. So when I place in 4x4 the green light, axle lock, or differential lock light will not come on. The front shaft does turn and when you place in 4x4 low it goes into low gear. So mechanically I believe all is working alright but there's something taking place that won't fully engage it. The first time it happened I drove it and when I got home it worked fine. Hasn't worked since. I've checked the vacuum lines and removed the cover where the 4x4 shift lever is located. There appears to be a magnetic type switch there where the handle of the lever rests against that did not show any signal from. That's as far as I've went. I did wiggle some of the electrical connections around on the front diff but that's about it. Has anyone got any ideas where to search next? I've looked at other threads and it appears that it could be several different things. I believe its something really simple but what who knows. I take good care of my things so I know its not mud or something like that packed somewhere. I love this lil truck but I sure wish I knew more about it. I'd appreciate any and all advice in advance.

2. Brad Waddell

Brad Waddell New Member

Update for those who might have the same issue. Checked with G & R Imports and talked to Steve. He thought it might be my 4x4 command module. I gave up and let my local mechanic look at and he came up with the same thing. So, I've got a replacement coming and hopefully this takes care of it.

3. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Yeah they have a tendency to crap out , I’ve rebuilt some using latching relays for a factory look and I’ve also done just a switches For ones with just the axle lock truck I just put in a regular relay so when it’s shifted into 4wd high or low it locks the front axle . You just loose the shifting on the fly after the 1st time till you hit the axle button or shut off the truck while in 2wd high . For under $10 in parts it’s usually the customer choice on their farm/hunting rig

4. Brad Waddell

Brad Waddell New Member

Thanks for the input Koffer. I'll know more about Tuesday. It is used almost entirely as a hunting and fishing rig. I just love this lil rig as it does everything I need. I just put LED lights on it, a brush guard, and used some golf cart fender flares to keep the mud off when I o go through mud but for the most part its babied. I'm picky and I want things to work as expected but what you're talking about would have worked sounds like. It's the only thing we can come up with. I'll let everyone know if that was it. Fingers crossed. These lil trucks are AWESOME!

5. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

It’s fun to get to on the DD51Bs as it’s stuck to the firewall up behind the dash above the fuse box and steering column
    I bought a very long ( 22” Phillips head ) screw driver so I could get to the screw that mounts it

6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Brad,
    I'm like you, I like to take care of my stuff also, like you said sometimes to the point of babying it! It pays of in the end! I'm interested to see the results! Koffer, smart purchase on the screwdriver, we can never have too many tools to make are mechanical lives easier! I'm a fan! Good Luck!
    Limestone

7. Brad Waddell

Brad Waddell New Member

Nice rig limestone. I wanted one of the scissor type beds but settled for a dumper. Very hard to locate, especially in good condition. I've been using mine for 6 years now and when I have a buddy come fishing or hunting they think this rig is awesome. I tried to attach a picture of mine but I'm not techy enough. My boy will later for me.

8. Limestone

Thanks, Jigs and I both have the scissor lift, that we like. The other day, I needed to check a solar light on my 32 ft' aluminum flag pole, so instead of trying to negotiate a ladder on the round pole. I used the mini, parked next to the pole in the front yard grass, on flat ground, and ran it up to the proper height to work on the light, mission accomplished! Very use full! The neat part is after you lower the bed, one switch of a lever and you can use it in dump mode also!
    Limestone

9. Brad Waddell

Brad Waddell New Member

Update all. I get to go pick up my lil mini in the morning just in time for my next project. Dang I missed that thing. Well, my mechanic installed the 4x4 control module and the green light and the axle lock/ differential lock lights all work. He said he had them working earlier but I had already orderded the used module from G & R Imports. He had done nothing other than just try it again and it all came on Another reason to suspect a weak 4x4 module. So he put the new one in and we'll see how she holds up. If something else happens I'll keep you all update. Take care all and stay safe

Limestone likes this.
  10. Limestone

Glad you got it figured out! An old timer that I worked with, would now take that module apart, to see why it occasionally failed. He is a pretty amazing fella! He has to know why it failed! Possibly, fixing, or repairing it for a spare!