1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 mitsy left wheel drive

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Tuz222, Oct 8, 2007.

1. eric's lefty

eric's lefty New Member

does any body no were i can get a carb for 89 90 mitsu 3g81 and its a lefty

2. Dan

Dan Member

Eric, i got your pm's check your seat belt at the base where its mounted and the tags will show your year. we'll look up the part #'s you need to fix your mini. Its not relly that hard to find parts for the lefty's. many of them are still floating around in the dealerships right here in the USA and it sounds like we have some really resourseful people in this forum that can help too.

3. Dan

Dan Member

I opened up another transmission and found a different version of blocking the 4th gear. the input shaft was replaced with one that has a solid disk next to the synchro instead of the teeth for 4th.

I think that is the one you encountered slimbad.

4. slimbad

slimbad Member

Dan, i sure wish i had taken pix when we had it tore down. but i do remember the solid disc you mention. just to clarify - would just removing the disc from the shaft allow it to engage? or are you saying the fourth gear itself is missing? it seems to me that we had all four gears in there. i sure would like to find that fourth gear action. Thanks for your further investigations......later, slim

5. Dan

Dan Member

The disk is the input pinion shaft. it's machined from a single piece. it would have to be replaced by a pinion shaft with the engagement for 4th gear or have the teeth cut into the one that's there. the 4th gear is there but unable to be put to use. the collar would slide over the brass synchro and settle over the toothed ring where the disk is now. I'll put the pictures in my gallery for you to compare the two versions. I'm going to search for the correct pinion shaft and let you know what i find.

This one had a plug set in the hole where the shift rail slides in the bell housing instead of the collar that we talked about before. I drilled a hole from the other side and drove out the plug.

6. 93mit

93mit Member

have a 93 lhd 3 seed with an electronic gov. how do i get around it? they are street legal in mo now and 20mph doesn't get it even on my farm

7. Dan

Dan Member

8. mightymits#21

mightymits#21 New Member

Hey Dan so once you were able to get 4th gear how fast could you go?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  9. Dan

Dan Member

I've only run these in the dirt. They are running 45-50 down the dirt roads. I'm sure if i got out on the pavement they would zip down the road like the rest...60mph+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locWAUEcxOQ

10. mightymits#21

mightymits#21 New Member

cool ill need to be able to at least do 45 down the dirtroads at the huntin club for next year haha

11. Aspot15

Aspot15 New Member

Hey Dan i have a couple questions for you! once you took the jam piece off did you have to do something with the governer also to go that fast? Becouse once mine gets to 25 the gov light on the dash lights up anything would help becouse i would definatly like to go faster! Another question is what kind of seals did you have on the back transfer case of the transmission? where you able to find new seals?

12. Dan

Dan Member

#MD735720 OIL SEAL is the number for the drive shaft seals. The mitsubishi car dealerships should be able to provide it if you give them the number to look up. I've taken old seals to napa and matched them up also.

Silicon is what seals the case sections.

there are several components to the americanized mits governing system. Disabled gears, rpm limiter, and speedo cable sensor. Sounds like you are familiar with the gear issue... some are disabled differently than others. in a few cases i have seen the pinion shaft installed without any teeth cut for the 4th gear synchro. pinion replacement would be necessary to get 4th gear.

I'm lacking the electronics aptitude to resolve the ignitors control over timing and rpm's so i replaced the ignition system with a MSD box. I had to modify the distributor mounting bolt to accommodate a 30+ change in timing and flip the rotor 180 then move the wires one terminal on the cap. Theres a much less expensive way to do this with an old mopar ignitor too. I think all of the details and some pictures are in an old post. The fuel pump is aalso controlled by the oem box, so it had to be wired independantly.

give a shout out if you need more info. a few of us here have the leftys.

Dan

13. Dan

Dan Member

your post vanished :eek:

did we cross the line on the transmission issue:confused: :rolleyes:

:cool: PM me...:pop:

14. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Deleted it himself/herself. :confused:

15. Carl420

Carl420 New Member

Where can I get one of these reducers

16. Dan

Dan Member

I called in a mobile speedometer shop to build it. They calibrate custom speedometer reducers for off road and such.