1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 SuZuki Carry will not start after trip home

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Carry Grant, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Carry Grant

Carry Grant New Member

1993 Suzuki carry

Finally bought my first mini truck from a gentleman 3 hours away. At his place the truck started and preformed flawlessly. Started at least 5 times,checking everything out. Started up and drove on the trailer on on my way home.

Arrived home and pushed off the trailer. Would not start at all!! I returned the Uhaul trailer and the day was over. Next day I tried to start it with no luck.

Only way it would run if the pedal floored and then it would smoke like a chainsaw

Pushed it in the garage and begin investigating. Things that the previous owner has recently done. New distributor cap ,rotor,igniter,plugs and plug wires. Also replaced the vacuum lines,and checked timing while I was at his place.

Things I have checked: timing belt.TDC along with distributor rotor pointed at #1 plug wire,and flywheel lined up.....so the timing checked out.

All plugs have good spark,but noticed they were wet when removed..checked gap and reinstalled. .....nothing.

To the carburetor...at this point the only thing I’ve adjusted is the mixture screw,with no luck. It spits and sputters a little,but will only start when the pedal is floored.

I am baffled. The dang thing started ,and ran perfect at his place..

What in the world could have happened on the trip home??

Any help would be appreciated,cause I’m at a loss. !!!

Cheers.

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

When you say the plugs are wet is it gas or oil? Sounds like a fuel issue but the smoke makes me wonder, what color is the smoke? Is it possible that something got blown into the air filter intake? Is it possible that the trip jarred some gunk in fuel tank and plugged filter?
    The whole thing sounds really unusual to me, you need fuel, spark,and air to run so one of the 3 is missing. I would clean and dry the plugs, check air and fuel filters and make sure there is spark to plugs.

3. Carry Grant

Carry Grant New Member

Both fuel filter were just changed by the previous owner,also air filter. The spark plugs are wet from gas. I’ve cleaned them a nd tried starting numerous times. I’ve tried starting with out the air filter ,with no luck.

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I'm far from an expert but have had some experience with these trucks. It seems like your truck is flooding and this is usually caused by float or needle & seat problems. The only thing I can imagine in your situation is that some small particle jarred loose during your trip and is keeping the needle valve from seating in the float bowl. If you are confident enough in your abilities you can remove the float bowl and check the needle valve for any contamination. The only other option I can think of is trying to find an old timer who is familiar with carburetors and get him to check it out. These carburetors can be very difficult because of their complexity and you for sure need to take as many photos as possible before touching it. Make sure you know exactly where all the vacuum lines go before removing any of them.

Limestone likes this.
  5. Heiny

Heiny Member

Remove gas line as close to carb as possible and turn key on to pump a good amount of fuel into a glass container and see if there is contaminates, including letting it sit to look for water. These things sit a lot which can rust tanks and lines and alcohol makes it all worse.
    You might also try some starting fluid to get it firing.

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Great points guys! I agree with all of it! Like Jig's always suggests, go to the G&R Imports site, and go through their carb. checklist. Sounds like i'ts flooding, with to much fuel to me! Carb. float could be out of adjustment, fuel acc. pump, could be bad in the carb., etc........Good Luck!
    Limestone

7. Carry Grant

Carry Grant New Member

I did remove the fuel line and pump in to a clean bottle. ,Looked fine......I also tried starting it with starting fluid and acts the same as fuel. Will not start,unless the pedal is floored,so I think the fuel is clean

Thanks for the help

8. Carry Grant

Carry Grant New Member

Thanks for the tips from G&R imports

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Check the fuel pressure. On Hijets there is a return line from the fuel pump back to the tank, and that is the pressure regulator.

It can for bad, in the fuel pump. Or, the tank can not be venting because the charcoal canister is mucked up, and not letting are in to the fuel tank. Both result in rich mixtures, because I you have enough fuel pressure to blow right past the needle valve and into the fuel bowl.

A rich mixture can result in exhaust smoke by having too much fuel to burn cleanly, and by rinsing the oil that is supposed to be lubricating the cylinder bores off and into the combustion air.

So, first check the fuel pressure. It should be around 1.5 to 2-psi. If you have an air compressor blow back through the pressure relief/bypass line and see if the air blows through fairly freely and you hear bubble in the tank.

10. Carry Grant

Carry Grant New Member

Got it running.......yay!!!

I removed the air box and rubber boot,and noticed the choke plate was stuck. Cleaned with carb cleaner and boom,the thing started. I let it run a while,turned it off,and cleaned again......fired right up.took it for a nice long test drive. Very happy!!

....now it find out why I have no heat.radiator is new,and I hear the fan kick on..it’s late!!

thanks to everyone for the help.

11. Limestone

While it's running, clean all the linkage, and choke real good with carb. cleaner!
    Limestone

12. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Check the cables from the control levers on your heater, they have been known to slip in the stop mechanism or sometimes break.
    Sure glad your carb problem turned out to be simple, they usually do but some people just can't resist tearing into the carb. and get themselves in trouble.Cudos for being sensible.

13. Stanran

Stanran New Member

Carry ,as far as no heat I changed my radiator fluid which was dark then replaced and bled the system to remove any air pockets . runs nice with the gauge in normal range, and my heat is great only out of the floor vents...which is where heat then rises but the top vents just pee warm, might be a baffle in the heater . too much work to tear apart the dash so I'm happy . toasty for deer hunting with those bottom vents. If you find a simple solution pass it on good luck.

14. Limestone

Stan,
    I don't see a simple solution, besides tearing the dash out, which I did, and lubed up all the moving cable parts etc....I do agree, a baffle isn't opening! Good Luck!
    Limestone