1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 Sambar Carb adjustment

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Sunshine Coast Sambar, Dec 18, 2021.

1. What would cause white smoke at start up while its cold? Mine is doing this until it gets hot. It is also blowing donut shaped smoke rings out the exhaust sometimes. Is this a carb adjustment problem?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  2. Does anyone know where the fuel mixture screw is suppose to be approx. like 1 and a half turns out to start or maybe it is like 4 turn out? It stopped running for a bit so I pulled the spark plugs and they where soaked with fuel. Cleaned them out and put them back in and is running again.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  3. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I would think if it was a fuel adjustment, it would do it when hot as well. Maybe the choke is sticking?

4. What a coincidence with your reply. Just started it 10 minutes ago. Started with zero smoke then about 10 seconds later it started to smoke. Strong fuel smell. Something is up with the choke system. Not sure how it works. From what I see coolant runs through to this little plunger. It expands and pushes a lever. That’s all I know at this moment.

5. When I first received the truck a week ago it was not starting. I changed the spark plugs and it ran. There was a huge amount of white smoke. When it warmed up it went away and ran normal. For the next few days I adjusted the cold idle and warm idle and set the timing. Everyday when I started it there was white smoke but way less until it warmed up. I was cruising around in the yard and it was running good. I put in a full can of sea foam into the full fuel tank. That is like 473mL of sea foam. I found out its way more that I was supposed to put in. I let it sit there running for 2 days idling. Then it started to start to die off. I adjusted the idle and it helped as well as the fuel mixture. It would idle ok but I could not rev the engine now. It would start to stall when I tried to rev it. Then it just stopped. Everytime I try to start it now the spark plugs are totally soaked in fuel after not even 30 seconds of running. I would take the spark plugs out and clean them and try again. Same thing, soaked in fuel. Then it didn’t even start at all. I changed all the vacuum lines. There was one missing from right under the air intake to the carb. I dried the sprak plugs and it started today for a moment then stumbled and died. I was looking at the spark plugs and the had some dark coating on them. Maybe it was the sea foam not sure. But I changed the spark plug with new ones today. It started up right away, and with huge amount of white smoke just like when i first started it. Then I stopped trying anything. I am at a point where I am not sure if that amount of sea foam has done something or what ever controls the fuel delivery is failing. When it did start I tried manually moving the choke. The rpm did increase but it looked like it still had a fair amount of white smoke still.

6. cop on my back

cop on my back Active Member

I think I would do a compression check on the engine. White smoke is strange. I am in a cold climate and you get condensation when the engine is cold but goes away once warm. I am wondering if it is coolant getting into the combustion chamber?

7. I filled it up with fresh gas to dilute sea foam. Runs good now. Still heavy white smoke sometimes when starting from cold. Other times there is a bit of white smoke but not much. It all goes away when it warms up. One weird thing going on is sometimes I will not be able to accelerate. It stalls out and is hard to start again. Just now it did that and I started it up again and it’s working fine. No stalling I can rev fine. It’s an intermittent problem. The choke is opening, the arm Rises about half an inch. There is a vacuum operated unit right by the throttle cable side. Kind of looks like the choke unit. I have never seen that move. I don’t know what it does. The coolant has not moved yet so I assuming that is good.