1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 Honda Acty Gearbox Oil Type - Help :)

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Acty 660cc, May 21, 2012.

1. Acty 660cc

Acty 660cc Member

Hello All,
    Im at the end of my project swapping a 660cc tripple into my 1981 acty - can enybody tell me what sort of gearbox oil i should be using???

Im in the UK so temperature typically ranges from -3 to 27 degrees c

Also, does anybody know if there is another Honda engine out there that uses the same oil filter as my Acty? having trouble identifying / finding the correct one.

thanks!!

Acty 660cc

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

3. Acty 660cc

Acty 660cc Member

Hi There,
    Thanks for your reply. Are you sure its just normal engine oil for the transmission? is this waht the service manual says? (i dont have one yet) just want to be completely sure as i dont want to cause any damage by using the wrong oil.
    Its a 1992 by the way.
    Thanks again,
    Acty 660cc

4. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

The service manual says 10w30 or manual transmission fluid.

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I was going by all the recommendations on the Japanese mincara Acty page...most are using 10/40...possibly due to warmer climate?

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

just changed today

1. engine oil
    my japanese manual says
    temperature range < minus 30 degree Celsius to > 40 degree Celsius plus
    0W20, 5W30, 5W40
    minus 20 DC to >40 DC 10W30
    I used Chevron 10W30
    Volume : without oil filter 2.5 liter
    with oil filter 2.7 liter

2. Oil filter I changed of course also. Bought in a local hardware store, they have plenty of that stuff here in Japan for K cars. Name: HAMP Synergy, engine oil filter, # H1540-RTA-505 (Made in USA)

3. Then I changed the automatic transmission fluid. Had a 5 liter can of Honda ATF Z1. Owners manual does not show the volume needed. So I drained the the transmission fluid and refilled from top, the plug is reachable from the top after removing the engine cover, in driving direction right side, the plug has ATF stamped on it, so one cannot miss or and mix it up with engine oil or something else.
    I filled about 2 liters and then checked with the dipstick, added more little by little till it was enough. I checked one more after test drive later.

4. Then I also changed the brake hoses on both front wheels. That was claimed by the inspection officer when I went this week for the 2 year road certificate check (Shaken called in Japan), I got the sticker and passed the inspection but had to promise him to change the brake hoses. After I removed them I found outside the manufacturing date from 1998, so they have never been changed since the car was built. Then also changed the complete brake fluid and bleeded the system.

5. Finally I changed the climate control filter which is located under driver seat. That is a simple plastic frame with a filter in front of the evaporator. I usually use kitchen range filter material and just sew it on the plastic frame with some stitches. Cheaper than the original filter and I can replace it more often.

6. Also cleaned the evaporator. I do that once a year and then the climate control works much better then, when I did it the first time after I bought the car second hand, the evaporator looked similar like this one
    http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/climate.htm
    Before cleaning it really did not work well and of course it was smelling, after cleaning the air is much better and the cooling is also much better.

@fupabox: as for engine oil you can also use 10W40, I used that for one year now till I changed it. No problem at all.
    This time I used the Chevron 10W30 as it weas on sale.

Hope the info is of use for others for maintenance.

7. Borg

Borg Member

The Manual transmission is full when it starts coming out of the filler plug.

Also is uses same oil as the engine would.

8. shogun

shogun Active Member

my one is the automatic 3-speed transmission, that has a dipstick luckily. although difficult to see, just 2 tiny holes in the stick and the fluid should be in between these 2 marker holes, or better close to the upper one. The 4-speed automatic transmission came in 1999. My one is from 1997.

9. shogun

shogun Active Member

Here now a youtube by Houston MIni Truck Ben for changing the automatic transmission fluid

Honda acty oil change, oil filter location ,dip stick location, and fill location.