1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 Subaru Sambar SC problem

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by swanysc, Nov 16, 2008.

1. swanysc

swanysc New Member

Hello, I am new to the mini-truck world. I have a 1992 Subaru Sambar SC. I am having some problems with it that I hope maybe someone can help me with. The truck will start and idle fine but when I take off down the road it just dies like it is out of fuel after a little ways down the road:D. I have replaced the fuel pump, the fuel filter, removed the tank and cleaned it out, and blown through the lines to make sure they weren't plugged. When it dies I can usually get it started, but as soon as I press on the gas pedal it will rev up and then die. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Subaru

Subaru Member

When you say it revs up and dies,do you mean it returns back to idle,or does the engine quit all together?

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I would check out the vacuum lines which there are lots of back there in the engine bay.
    If you get cracks in the hoses as they get older it will really muck things up.

Have you checked the distributor to look at the mechanical & vacuum advance parts?

Checked the coil output?

4. swanysc

swanysc New Member

It usually just dies and is hard to start afterward, but sometimes I am able to keep it running. I will check for vaccum leaks and look at the distributor advance parts. I will also check the coil. Thanks so much for the help!

5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Just curious, if you have it running in neutral and gun the engine can you see the green supercharger light come on?
    It's on the lower RH side of dash right above the word "Supercharger"
    You need to step on the gas fast /hard for it to come on and it will only come on for a second

The ECU for the engine is right behind the driver's seat, if you move the seat all the forward you can access it.
    Make sure it is mounted solid and the plug that comes up through the floor to make all the electrical connections is firmly seated.

6. swanysc

swanysc New Member

I tried several times to get the supercharger light to come on but it never did. I also checked the ECU and it is mounted solid and the connections are good. I am going to check the distributor, coil, and check for vacuum leaks tonight.

7. Subaru

Subaru Member

Might sound stupid,and usually overlooked.but have you been able to check for any codes,current,pending,and history?
    While it is idling try the ole wiggle test on wires and vacuum lines:)

8. swanysc

swanysc New Member

I used starting fluid to check for vacuum leaks and also visually checked and could not find any leaks. The distributor has no vacuum or mechanical advance, it must be computer controlled. What is a good way to check coil output? Is there a way to check for codes without a scan tool? I will try wiggling the wires and vacuum lines to see if that does anything. Thanks again for the help.

9. Subaru

Subaru Member

Where are you and the truck located?

10. swanysc

swanysc New Member

Butte, Montana

11. swanysc

swanysc New Member

I let it sit and idle for a long time and the check engine light finally came on. It first flashed 6 long and 2 short flashes. Then it flashed 6 long and 3 short flashes. Then 3 long and 3 short flashes. Then 4 long and 2 short flashes, after which it start over again. I don't know if this info will help, without a scan tool.

12. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Trouble codes

Here is a link to a page with the trouble codes on it for you
    http://209.85.171.104/translate_c?h...s&sa=G&usg=ALkJrhipr4hj_16r7-gzZifUGMIbig89xA

English translation so-so

Actual Japanese page here

http://motor.geocities.jp/blue_beetle/mente/selfcheck/selfcheck.html

In case you have a Japanese friend that can translate better

Also there is this page here
    http://209.85.171.104/translate_c?h...s&sa=N&usg=ALkJrhibjQO7wuh8wwew0zFlRf7UoD7gCQ

If you read this page it looks like the two sets of connectors are to be plugged together one at a time.
    One set for clearing memory?
    The other set for getting code?

Normally the two sets of plugs are not joined and just dangle by them selves

I hope this is of some help to get to the bottom of your troubles

13. swanysc

swanysc New Member

Thanks timetripper, I really appreciate all the Help. You too, Subaru.

14. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

More thoughts

One other thing I just remembered:

On the top of the valve cover right beside the fill cap there is a termnal for the ground strap.

There should be two small wires in a ring terminal and one larger wire in a ring terminal, a bolt holds them both to the valve cover.

I would undo this connection and make sure that all the ring terminals are clean and check
    that that the cables are not swollen - sign of corrosion. The other end of the larger cable runs
    to the frame right right beside the engine. This needs to be checked as well, just watch out
    as the threads of the bolt are in the wheel well side and can get corroded.

I saw a factory recall on this but can't recall what years it was for.

More thoughts;

Being that the trouble codes were electrical related
    [one was idle switch, other was electrical disconnect]

Has the truck had any wiring done to it for accessories?
    Lights, Winch, stereo, Daytime running lights, etc?

Is the battery ok? Alternator voltage while running?

You could try pulling all the fuses except for the ones to the engine
    for the ECU and see if that makes a difference.

How do you do that?

Just start it up and start pulling fuses one by one and if the engine dies replace that fuse
    and go onto the next one.
    Then try driving it with just the essential fuses.
    If it runs then you can start putting fuses back in until you have a problem.

15. wmadrianse

wmadrianse New Member

1992 sambar fuel system problem

Similar to SWANYSYNC in November of last year, my 1992 sambar(do not think it is SC but will check when get back to farm) starts fine, when pressing gas pedal , initially revs but quickly stalls unless let off pedal. If it dies, restarts easily. Will check vac hoses. Does lack of SC change anything re old thread? Regards

16. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yeah, it will be quite different. Many things apply, but the SC is fuel injected, yours is carb'd.

Check timing too.

Lifer likes this.
  17. wmadrianse

wmadrianse New Member

Apologize for stupid question, how do you check timing out on the "back forty"? Most appreciate your help. Mike

18. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

The timing mark is on the crank pulley if I remember. You peek in from the back. Clamp your timing light on cyl#1 plug wire (outside one) then see how she looks. Loosen off the dist cap disconnect the vaccuum line and rotate until you are in time.

19. wmadrianse

wmadrianse New Member

Thanks for your response. Last time I used a timing light was circa 1974. Before trying that, discovered a loose wire in vicinity of a roughly 1" cylinder located on top of carb. Took the cylinder off and appears to be a "push valve" regulating air flow. The possible connection point for the loose wire is recessed on the side of the cylinder next to another short wire whose connector was unattached. The recess had carbon deposits but could not tell if there was a break or if it was recent. Do you know what the cylinder is and if it could be my problem?
    Please note have to come to town to use internet so communication is disjointed on my part. Best regards, Mike

20. wmadrianse

wmadrianse New Member

1992 Sambar no SC

Further to my last, think my problem is in fact inoperative 1" long cylinder roughly 1" diameter located at top of carb assembly. Can anyone tell me what this thing is called and where to find replacement?

21. wmadrianse

wmadrianse New Member

1992 Sambar fuel system problem

Further to my last, have confirmed that 1" cylinder is the problem since truck will operate when the cylinder is removed. Can anyone advise where to find replacement.

22. slimbad

slimbad Member

1" cylinder

Mike, could you post a pic of this cylinder? I'm having probs getting an idea of what it is. You say there are wires going to it, but no vacuum lines??

Also you posted that it would operate when it is removed. Leave it off:D .........slim

23. wmadrianse

wmadrianse New Member

1992 sambar fuel system problem

first time to attach pictures. Hope these show both part, and where it goes.

Attached Files:

24. Driftwood73

Driftwood73 New Member

Hi, I know it's been a long time since this thread was active, but I'm having the same problem with a 1997 Sambar. Your pics are the carburetor Upper Control Solenoid OEM PN. 16196-KA140. Mine was missing when I bought the van. Do you know where the wires from the solenoid should be connected. Thanks Pete

25. udidwht

udidwht Member

Did you resolve the issue? If so what was it?