1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 Minicab - No Spark

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Dexter Hope, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dexter Hope

Dexter Hope New Member

I have a 1992 Minicab with a 3G83. The truck was running then died so I took out the distributor and dried it out with some brake clean. It now has NO SPARK. There is power going to the distributor and the coil? Any ideas what could be wrong?

I would really appreciate your help, thank you.

2. mr.mindless

mr.mindless Member

I don't know if there's anything specific to the governor setup on these that could get in the way, but basic troubleshooting of gas engines tells me that if you have voltage at the coil and it's not making good spark, you need a new coil.

3. Dexter Hope

Dexter Hope New Member

Ok, just the fact that it worked before I removed the distributor made me think it could be something else. Is it common for the trigger/pickup to go bad in the distributor?
    Thanks again

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Did you put the distributor back in the same way? Clocking it properly is important!

5. Dexter Hope

Dexter Hope New Member

Yes I believe so, I made 3 different reference marks before I removed it.

6. Limestone

It sounds like you've taken precautions to install it properly, marking it accordingly! So you've got spark going to the distributor an coil, but not coming out! Did you loose your ground when you removed the distributor? I ran an additional ground strap from my distributor bolts to the frame, kinda for the heck of it, because I was chasing several problems at the same time, and I knew that it wouldn't hurt anything!
    Limestone

7. Dexter Hope

Dexter Hope New Member

Yes I have power going to the coil. I have tried a different coil and it didn't help. I have used a booster cable to go from the negative terminal to the distributor to ground it. I have also done the same thing with the coil and both didn't help the problem. Is it possible that the coil module has gone bad? Is there a way to test it?

8. Limestone

Just this morning a friend had the same similar problem, and his coil wasn't compatible with the control module! But in your case, you had spark previously, and then after reinstalling the distributor, nothing! Yes it is possible for the module to go bad! Try connecting the ground on your 12V test light, to the NEG. terminal on the IGN. Coil, have someone crank the engine over several times, and your test light, should flicker on and off! If this happens, then your module is good!
    Limestone