1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 Acty Timing Belt Tensioner & Idler

Discussion in 'Honda Acty References' started by vtg, Jun 14, 2011.

1. vtg

vtg Member

While replacing the timing belt on my Acty, I though it wise to replace both the lower belt idler pulley and the upper belt tensioner pulley. I ordered the parts several months ago and only now got around to doing the job. While the replacement upper tensioner looked identical to the original, the lower idler pulley was made quite a bit differently.

The original idler had the bolt hole positioned dead center of the pulley, but the replacement has an offset hole. Actually, I like the replacement set up as it allows you to more easily fine tune the timing belt adjustment. The problem is that when I installed the new idler, it sat closer to the block which caused the timing belt to overhang the outer edge of the idler pulley by at least an 1/8 of an inch. I'm sure this would have caused rapid wear on the new belt, so I found a hardened washer approx 1/8" thick with a proper inner and outer OD and installed it on the bolt between the engine block and the idler. The belt now seems to ride just right. I also had to find a different bolt to hold the lower idler in place as the original one was slightly too long to use with the new pulley.

Here's pic showing the new idlers installed and the old lower idler being held under them to illustrate the different design.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. vtg

vtg Member

4. vtg

vtg Member

Fupabox....After thinking more about this new style idler, my only concern is that if the bolt ever loosened up for some reason, it would allow the eccentric to rotate which would cause the belt to loosen with probable catastrophic results.

Do you have one of the proper replacement idlers? If so, what is your telephone number?

5. fupabox

It's prob. not going to hurt anything...looking at the photo the belt is in no danger of contacting anywhere it shouldn't....what I don't like is that if some-one with less ability to recognize that the belt needed to run true on the pully had installed it..they could have ruined an engine... if it needed an unmentioned and non-included washer to correctly install it...it should not be sold as a replacement...hopefully it was an oversight by the vendor

6. fupabox

No I don't have one..and that was my original concern,but I can't see in the photo the clearance at the bottom of the idler...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. powerload

powerload New Member

hello my name is Powerload im having trouble finding the idler on my acty ha3 1991 if you can help me i will appreciate it please call me 323 595-0844 thxs

8. Bert Stevens

Bert Stevens Active Member