1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 Suzuki carry aftermarket rims

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Inge, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Inge

Inge New Member

Hey guys I have a 1991 carry with a 3" lift. Right now I run camoplast tracks on it and getting ready for some tires and rims for the summer. I have 2" wheel spacers with the same bolt pattern as a Polaris ranger. I'm looking at 14x10 deep dish rims right now and a pretty aggressive tire. I'm just worried about them rubbing bad when I turn. I'm just wondering what everyone else runs for sizes I guess. Just looking at getting a wider stance on it so it's not so tippy I guess thanks!!

2. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

With no lift I put 25 X 12 X 12 on back and 25 X 8 X 12 Mudders straight off my Arctic Cat 4 x 4!
    The only issue I had was when I backed off the trailer!
    I bent the front part of the rear fender(?)!
    Check my Avatar Pic!

3. JInman

JInman New Member

I bought a set of Bassett racing wheels from summitracing. Here is the exact wheel https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsw-47st4

Wheels are 14x7 with 4" backspacing. Bolt pattern is 4x114.3. They stick out about 2" past the body without any spacers.

For tires, I'm running Kumho mud terrain 27x8.5x14 - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...Model=Road+Venture+MT+KL71&partnum=785QR4KL71

My '94 carry is lifted about 4" front and read (new 250 lb springs in the front). I still have to do some front fender trimming to avoid front tire / fender contact, especially when backing up. I've trimmed a little fender in front of the wheels and can now move forward with full articulation and no drag. I still need to trim behind the wheel as in reverse I can't turn too sharp. Haven't taken it off-road yet as I'm in the middle of other engine work on it - but I'm planning to just keep cutting the body until they don't drag - I'm not lifting it anymore!

Attached Files:

4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The rear isn't an issue, just rut and move them out or raise the shackle!
    The front I actual took a rubber mallet and bent the bottom tip of each door to make room!
    It didn't even crack the paint!

I plane on dropping the drive train, but at the moment I have a weird howl that comes and goes?
    Nothing gets hot or is loose!
    But I did find today that the axle itself has a little play in the splines?

5. Inge

Inge New Member

Thanks guys. I just got tires on mine tonight and put on bighorn maxxis tires and 14" rims. The backs are 26x11x14 and the fronts are 26x9x14. The fronts are way to big. They stick out 4" on the front and 5 ont the back. I can't even turn the steering whee a half a turn without them rubbing it not sure what the heck to do. And the left side of the truck rubs a lot more than the right. Witch is odd because with my tracks on it's the same way. Any ideas on what to do. It does t do me a bit of good just looking nice. If I could get a picture to upload I'd do it. Thanks

6. Inge

Inge New Member

7. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Those look close to the ones off my Cat!
    Check my Avatar pic!
    They are 26 x 12 x12 rear and 26 X8 X 12!
    I have no lift yet!

8. JInman

JInman New Member

Don't know for sure, but it looks like the '91 body has less clearance behind the wheel than my '94 does - at least from your photo. What lift do you have - is it just strut spacers? If so, perhaps the lift with only strut spacers changes the geometry in the front enough to cause the wheel to sit further back in the wheel well (don't know). With my lift, I lowered the front diff, steering pivot, engine cross member, trans (everything) and extended the front radius arms about 1.25" to make the wheel sit in the middle of the fender.

If I were you, I'd consider using a metal cutoff wheel and start trimming the body unless you can take the tires back and get a smaller size. Otherwise, lift it more but that is going to be a bigger job.

9. Inge

Inge New Member

Thanks guys I got it to work. I ended up using a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel. Got it perfect. Now if it holds out and I know I won't have to do anymore trimming I'll get my camo wrap put on. Thanks again!!

10. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Pictures?

11. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The problem I have with those tires on mine is on hard pack or dirt road they will rattle your teeth and vibrate!
    Not a smooth ride at all!

12. Inge

Inge New Member

Mine are actually not bad. I have them at 20psi and drive all over town and there not to bad. I'll take a few pictures this afternoon

13. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

In my lift I am thinking about moving everything Back an inch!
    If I put the rear end under the leaf springs and add a leaf, I understand the rear drive shaft becomes too short!