1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 suzuki carry 29.5mpg?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by jat240, Dec 26, 2016.

1. jat240

jat240 New Member

those of you you with street legal trucks, what kind of gas mileage do you guys get? the first tank I got about 29.5mpg, this second tank will probably be worse. 100% stock 5-speed 4wd truck.

15625962_10154631116990236_5816930346304654937_o.jpg

2. Sgt-Hack

Sgt-Hack New Member

I'm putting my 90 carry on the road this week. I'll post back when I figure it out

3. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm hoping to get my title simetime in the next few years from NJMVC , mailed the paperwork in the 1st week of November, called mid December, was told it was received and might be assigned the next week but not sure it when worked on . I'll call again a couple of weeks into the new year if I don't here anything .
    Once on the road I'll be able to tell mileage, but I think the best I've done with my daihatsu was about 30mpg , but I'm only a 4speed with the 660cc and running 155R12s

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I've checked mine a couple of times using GPS for miles driven and the best I've done was 32 mpg but usually 28 or 29. This is with the stock 547cc, 4 speed,2" lift and 13" tires around town usage.I think these claims of 40 or 50 mpg are pretty exaggerated talking to other owners.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  5. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Sometimes there can be somewhat of a difference between cherry-picked controlled numbers and what one gets in the real world with so many different circumstances (Loads, terrain, city, country), and driving style (hot rod or easy/smooth). Then again sometimes it is due to just plain fudging the numbers to appear better than actual. I've been around this planet for a lot of years and have become quite skeptical of any claims made about performance. I recall one Volkswagen in particular back in 1971 when we lived in Los Angeles that when I drove it got about 27 MPG and when my wife drove it got about 33 MPG so style of driving does make quite a bit of difference.

Fred

6. Sgt-Hack

Sgt-Hack New Member

I picked mine up on 12/14/16 from Newark NJ. I'm headed to the DMV today to get it registered here in AlbanyNY. Since the truck is older than 25 years customs sent it through with no issues and stamped the translated Japanese "title" and told me I was good to go. Insurance was the real issue. My insurance co wanted almost$1000 a year. Did some shopping to get it under $400. I'll post after my stop at the DMV in the morning.

7. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Good luck Sgt , yeah NJ bites on this stuff , won't let you drop off paperwork , even though They have a desk in the office just for that but that's for the " special people " ( they had the stones and told that over the phone ) and won't even come down to talk to you when you call up on the special phone in the lobby . The info they send is all out dated , want stuff translated by the approved list but that list is over 9 years old and none of the places listed do it anymore . Other stuff they want is to have a raised seal but the paperwork says right at the top it will be emailed , how do you email a raised seal ???
    Last time I did a title for my 2012 Ford Transit connect that was a gilder kit it took 7 months to get a title in hand .
    The Daihatsu I went thru a title company and got it in about 6 weeks but cost $1100 and NJDMV dinged me for sales taxes again even though the FL title was in my name but too new so they popped me again . It wasn't worth the fight
    Let me know how you make out

8. jat240

jat240 New Member

Second tank was 25.5mpg... Yeah that's not very good. The first tank was half Japanese gas half local gas station regular, the second was regular, the current is premium.. It's probably going to go down more because I put some 14s on it, about 12lbs heavier each.

I picked my truck up on December 14th 2016 as well, but I had mine shipped to Baltimore. The following Monday I had it tagged titled and insured in Kentucky, my only issue is they didn't know what to do with the export certificate. They had to call the capitol. My insurance went up $10 a month... My best friends wife is my insurance agent so that was the easy part for me.

9. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Some of these numbers may also be from the Canadian suppliers using imp gallons ,saw that with diesel land cruisers they were selling .
    NJ is also nice enough to only have E10 in all grades available so that does nice at tanking mpg too

10. jat240

jat240 New Member

Ran through about 3/4 tank of premium, when I filled up this morning I calculated 30.5mpg. Maybe that 25mpg tank was a fluke?

I imagine a 2wd truck would get 35+mpg

11. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Driving habits may have changed some after a few miles behind the wheel now too . Getting to know the sweet spots in the gears and power bands when cruising .
    Might be where you filled up too ,
    Look at the map for your state , as you can tell there's a lot of places that sell non E10 fuel ( except for the perfect outline of NJ ,figures)
    http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html
    Plus it's a good map for getting fuel for your small engine power equipment . Rather clean varnish out of a carb then the ethanol eating up the rubber parts and the water it attracts rusting out the tanks and eating up the alloy carb housings

12. jat240

jat240 New Member

I dunno really. This tank I did 50mph on the highway quite a bit and a run (if you can believe it) at 119km/h for about a mile.

But I do know that ethanol free gasoline is only available at one station in the area, it's 13 miles away from my house. But unfortunately it's in the opposite direction of anywhere in ever go.

13. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

You also might be blowing out the cob webs , the times I've been to Japan 40-50 kph stop and go driving was what I saw all day long with these little guys

14. jat240

jat240 New Member

Yeah I'm sure I've probably put it through more high rpm use in the past two weeks than it has in years. I know for a fact that, I've driven more kms the two weeks than it has in the last 3.5 years!

15. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Sgt
    How did you make out at DMV ?

16. Sgt-Hack

Sgt-Hack New Member

IMG_1082.JPG All registered ready to go no issues.
    DMV said I should have the new title in about 3 weeks.

17. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Sweet

18. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Picked up my 91 Cary and had no issue with it here in Illinois!
    But I got mine with a SC title!

19. jat240

jat240 New Member

My mpg is all over the place. Guess it's due to my driving habits and the fact it's hard to fill the gas tank consistently. Getting it filled up if kinda hit and miss. Sometimes it'll click off and be just under full, other times it'll spew out before it clicks off and over fill it some.

But anyway, after 9 fill ups I'm sitting at 28.1mpg. My high was 30.6 while my low was 24.15. I keep telling myself it's a 4wd carbed truck that is geared really low and has the aerodynamics of a brick... but it still seems kinda low for a 660cc vehicle that weighs 1500lbs.

509er likes this.
  20. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I've only filled it once and kept track so far and I got 26. And since I've gone off roading with this tank!

21. jat240

jat240 New Member

a little update. I have driven 8,458km(5,272miles) and put 185 gallons of gas in my truck. That puts me at 28.5mpg over all. The best tank I have done since I figured out how to consistently fill my tank, with mostly highway was 32mpg, the worst with mostly city was 25mpg.

22. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

That's about where Im at?
    I still need to do my carb, timing belt, cap and rotor!

23. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

High 20's is about right... 40~50's is definitely a myth.

Once you guys start getting the F.I. models it'll get a little better.

24. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Maybe with a 2 wheel drive and you only run about 45 mph!