1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 s83p front end shaking at 80kmh

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by tyfyeq, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tyfyeq

tyfyeq Member

i bought the truck with a lift kit on it not sure what it is. when i hit 80 the front of the truck starts shaking very bad. did not know if there was something i can do to make it stop

2. BigJoel

BigJoel Member

Are your tires good and round? Balanced? Mine does the same thing, but i have flat spots on my tires..

3. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

Mine at one time was smooth up to 90K. I replaced a lower ball joint with a new one , $550, and now it shakes like a demon at 75K. Alignment done, tires balanced and everything tight on the steering but it still shakes. I have torn the front end apart and inspected everything, its all good, but it still shakes at 75 very badly. I suspect the center arm pivot bushing where the tie rod ends attach. The problem is that that bushing is not available anywhere. I have found that stage craft suppliers have a two part, pour in place, polyurethane mold making material with a durometer reading of 45 or 60 which is perfect for making a replacement bushing for that center pivot arm. In Canada it cost $36 for two pounds of it. I'm trying to remember the name, its Roo... something.

4. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

Here is a link to the polyurethane material I mentioned.

Limestone likes this.
  5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Are teh tires stock? If you have wider tires, it will increase teh side load on the front end at speed, by the distance you moved the contact patch outward. The tie rods are really skinny and can flex under the increased load. We used to sleeve the tie rods on rally cars with pipe or thick wall tubing to stiffen them up, and get rid of harmonic flex.

Get a dial indicator and a magnet mount and start measuring how much movement you have in every joint, and bushing as you load things both ways with the steering.. You should only have few thousandths max of play.

Limestone likes this.
  6. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Start with the basics - wheel balance could be off, and is easily checked and corrected - try rotating your wheels front to back. If one is off, your shake will now be at the rear. Mystery lift kit also makes the hair on my arms stand up a bit. What is your wheel camber like ? Is everything tight and secure ? As the ride height is raised, the toe may be affected. Good Luck

Limestone likes this.
  7. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

Have you adjusted out the slop in the rack and pinion? The adjuster is on the end of the pinion. It requires a 17 mm hex to fit. Bang the lock ring nut loose, the tighten the adjuster just enough to take out any slop, but not tight. It does make a difference. In terms of different wheels and tires, I run aggressive bias 4 ply 12x8 DOT legal tires which are not smooth running on pavement. They are attached to 2 inch spacers. Anything above 70 KMH the steering will shake like crazy. This setup is for off roading, but I do rive it on the road to get to the places I want to go. so patience is the name of the game when wearing them. My street tires without the spacers are smooth as silk, but I seldom drive it anymore on the street, excepts as I said, to get to the mountains. check this out. https://www.facebook.com/1637427637/videos/783869125639260/