1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 Mitsubishi Minicab U41V Resto

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by MiniMitsuFrank, Mar 9, 2019.

1. MiniMitsuFrank

MiniMitsuFrank New Member

It can be hard out there for a diy’r to find specific information on these wonderful vehicles, especially if you live in a county where they are neither manufactured or sold! As such, this thread is dedicated to document the various projects I perform on my beloved 1991 Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo van. Feel free to ask questions and share lots of pics of sweet upgrades or repairs to you minitrucks and vans.

Whether you also own a Mitsu Van or any other kei truck, I hope that the information I share, and we all share can help some others during their project.

Mighty Mitsu

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. MiniMitsuFrank

Here is the current state of my Minicab project, currently titled “Mighty Mitsu”

Here some of the general specs:

3 Cyl., 660cc SOHC engine #3G83
    4 Speed Manual on floor #RM411
    RWD
    Stock Rim Size: 3.5x12 - 3.5” of backspace -
    Stock Tire Size: 145R12 (these are trailer tires and often don’t come with an aspect ratio listed, I believe the aspect ratio is 80%, or 145-80R12.
    Overall Stock Wheel Diameter: 21.5”
    Stock rim: 12x3.5” / 4x114.3mm / 3” Backspace / 1.75” + offset
    Lug Nut: 12mmx1.5
    Payload: 355kg / 780 lbs
    Weight: 1700 lbs

Here are a few projects I’ve already completed and will share photos on:

-removal of headliner and adhesive, installation of foam insulation, hardboard, wood paneling.

-remove and replacement of all door panels with 1/4” ply

-removal of old factory floor silencer and install of new butyl sheet silencer on all floor boards, interior body panels, doors, seat pans, and rear hatch

-Complete pro grade wiring of 4-way speaker system (stock version came with one speaker in dash and am/fm only) & install of new Bluetooth headunit (they fit perfect with the stock faceplate in these models. Bonus!)

-Builtand fit custom ABS plastic speaker mounts/rings

-Built and fit “pocket panels”

-Rust removal and painting of many bolts and small parts. Like wayyyy to many.

-replacement of transmission mount

-Patch and repair of 4”x8” hole in front driver side wheel well/floor pan

-Plugging of lower exterior body panel drain holes

-Installation of mini bull bar and 2 51-watt LED lights with quick disconnect and mounting of LED halo switch in dashboard

-Just finished today: fitting aftermarket 13x6 rims and 185-60R13 tires!

I’ll be getting into replacing or refurbishing most of the suspension and doing engine maintenance and also other fun stuff like carb rebuild, refurbish thermostat, remove crank fan & install electric fan, install a dash mounted tach (this van has no tach in the dash? What the??) replace prop U-joints, etc.

I should also mention that the van currently runs exceptionally well considering that lack of TLC it has received over the years. I’ve owned it since January 2nd, 2019.

Can’t wait to hear about your project!

Attached Files:

3. MiniMitsuFrank

This is the Mighty Mitsu about 1 hour after purchase. A cold hard $1000.

Attached Files:

4. punimog

punimog New Member

Awesome van! Look forward to seeing your work on this.

5. MiniMitsuFrank

Thanks punimog! I plan on uploading photos/details of some of the work I've completed this weekend!

What kind of rig are you running??

Mitsu Frank

6. punimog

punimog New Member

Still in the planning phase. I think I will eventually get a Carry. Still saving and looking for the perfect one. I want a locking diff, but I would also like to be able to achieve highway speeds. Love the vans though and for the right price would snap one up for a commuter project.