1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 Mazda Scrum (Suzuki Carry) - HELP Please!!

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Bully, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Bully

Bully New Member

Hello all, I am relatively new to the forum as a member however I have read several existing posts regarding these mini trucks. I will try to be as detailed as possible without boring everyone.

I purchased my truck about a year ago as a non running project. I am very familiar with mechanical projects however the mini truck scene is new to me. I checked the basics and was satisfied the issue was with fuel. I pulled the carb, took it apart as much as I was willing to and cleaned etc. I put the carb back on and boom, it ran great. since that time I would have random issues with the truck that I related to the carburetor. I ordered a replacement carb (not OEM). I installed the carb and the truck ran, idled and drove great. The issue I was having now was the truck would max out at 80 km/hr. I worked and worked on this issue thinking possibly it was the carb float. Very long story short in trying to resolve this issue I ended up doing a new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, timing belt and pulley. After this I chased what I thought was a timing issue around and around countless times. I should mention I also replaced the fuel pump, fuel lines, and fuel filter.

Getting very frustrated the other day I took things back to where my problem began, the carburetor............

I pulled the new carburetor, I took it apart again as far as I am willing, I looked at the float (seems to me there will not be much fuel in the bowl) cleaned everything, set the air/fuel to 1.5 turns out. I reinstalled and boom, it was running. Still trying to make a long story short, The truck now seems to start OK, sometimes. Sometimes it needs a little input from the fun peddle to get going. The truck seemed to be over fuelling so I installed a 1-9 PSI fuel pressure regulator. I tried the truck again today, started good, idled a little high, I set the timing and pulled the truck out and under load could not get it to move.

In short I am loooosing my mind. I love this little truck but it has been a PITA. I pulled the plugs and fouled black again. How can this thing still be over fuelling?

I have the pressure regulator as its lowest level (all the way out)

I have tried an inline fuel pressure gauge with no success (does not even give a reading) I assume because of the return style carb there is never really any pressure to the gauge?

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
    Port Perry, Ontario Canada