1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 Hijet S83P - I "translated" lubricant info from owner’s manual

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by JMM, Nov 17, 2019.

1. JMM

JMM Member

I was getting frustrated with conflicting info on what the proper fluids and quantities are for my '91 S83P.

Luckily the truck came with the original owners manual, and the Google translate mobile app isn't half bad.

The attached PDF shows fluids, amounts, and variables for transmission, transfer case, and differential oils.

Did the best I could, hope this helps some of you.

Attached Files:

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

thanks, I saved it to m Hijet folder

3. Sigon

Sigon New Member

Thank You!

JMM likes this.
  4. EastALHiJet

EastALHiJet New Member

Awesome, just what I needed to get to work replacing fluids.

5. shogun

shogun Active Member

JMM likes this.
  6. B3Hulk

B3Hulk New Member

Appreciate it!

7. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Just make sure that whatever you put into your transmission states specifically that it is "recommended for synchromesh transmissions", Otherwise you will very soon have hard shifting and crunching gears, as the balk rings will no longer be able to grab enough to work. If this happens, drain it and refill with the proper lube to restore the synchro function.

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

“Safe for Yellow Metal”. the synchros rings are bronze, and some lubricants will dissolve the copper out of the bronze. Which leaves the rings too soft to work.

9. AlanSmith09

AlanSmith09 New Member

I just want to make sure what I'm hearing is that Redline MT-90 is safe to use in front/rear differentials as well as in the transfer case/transmission? Because if so, that simplifies the process for me.

1990 S83P 4 speed 3" lift

10. Noleftturn60

Noleftturn60 New Member

Thanks I’m a new owner of a 92 HiJet

11. ionstorm66

ionstorm66 Member

This is right info for manual 4x4. There is another thread that shows up on Google that says only to drain/fill the transfer case.

You have to drain both the transmission and transfer case. Then fill the transfer case, finally fill the transmission.