1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1990 Sambar Supercharger ?s

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by udidwht, May 10, 2023.

1. udidwht

udidwht Member

20230509_210424[1].jpg 1. In the above pic is this the fill plug for the supercharger? (front of vehicle to the right). looking at pic in the service manual I'm thinking this is the fill plug. But I see nothing to the left of it (upward from it in pic). Under 'General maintenance' page 25.

2. Where is the second plug for the supercharger? I've looked high/low and the above one is the only one I can see. Can the SC fluid be changed? Where is the drain plug? Or does the SC need removal? Difficult job?

3. The intake boots in the pic to the left & right of my hand what is the easy method of removal?

4. How much of a job to remove the throttle assembly? or is it even worth it other than using some TB cleaner?

I have the air filter assembly out for a good cleaning and while out I'm going to remove the rear shifter bushings and clean and lube them. I also removed the boot connecting the filter housing to the throttle body. I'll clean the throttle throat as well.

I also found what was remnants of a likely previous rat nest right behind the intake manifold area. Used a vacuum with a long thin attachment to get in all the nooks and cranny's and clean it out real good. Looks great now. There is a connector of some sort right behind the intake anyone know what it's for?

Using a good light all seems well wiring wise. No obvious issue/s. Any other suggestions on what I should do given I've gone this far? I'll put up some more pics.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Yes, that is the fill plug, there is no drain plug on the earlier years. You can either remove the supercharger and invert it to drain the oil, or use a syringe to extract the oil in situ.

You need to remove the intake manifold to get to the throttle assembly, as it is bolted to the underside of the manifold. If you remove both the manifold and throttle body, you will have easy access to the rubber couplers to the supercharger. Those couplers tend to get brittle and crack with age, so I would recommend replacing them with 48mm Silicone couplers. I bought a pair on eBay a few years back and trimmed them down to length with some scissors. Even if they are not leaking now, disturbing the area will likely damage them.

3. udidwht

udidwht Member

4. udidwht

udidwht Member

Done swapping out the old and putting in new. Only had 10ml in it. Took 30 ml to fill. Drove it and rechecked level. Perfect.

5. dbgsx

dbgsx New Member

Thanks for sharing, I was wondering the same thing - couldn't find the other plug on my '91.