1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1990 Honda ACTY SDX Van- Thoughts/Tips?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Arin, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Arin

Arin New Member

Hello, I am new here.

Just bought this thing for $6000 for a mail carrier job I recently acquired. We are required to have our own vehicle for the job, and I wanted a right hand drive to make the job easier. This is the first imported car I've ever driven and the first right hand drive. It is also the oldest car I've ever had.

For the most part, this thing really runs great. Turns easy. Always been a fan of the cabover design. Filled it up once when it arrived and was at a quarter tank...Took a mere 5 1/2 gallons. The best part about driving it are all the funny looks people give you.

Looked at practically everything on the car. The oil and air filter appear new, as does the oil in it. When it first arrived the idle was really strong and I tuned that down a bit. This car gets really loud once you get over 60 Km hr. The tires were old Bridgestones and looked terrible, so I replaced them with the only tires I could find in the size- 145/70 R 12 Duraturn, a chinese tire. They look nice, with some good treads. We'll see how long they last.

Concerns:
    - The sliding door on the drivers side is a real pain to shut. There's a big notch on the latch, I'm pretty sure that's why. No idea what to do about that.
    -When at a complete stop, the car jerks/vibrates a bit. At first I thought it was the absurd idle, but even after tuning it down, it still does it. Is it the breaks or something?
    -I'm pretty sure the ignition on the steering wheel was rebuilt at some point, because the key I was given starts and runs the vehicle, but it won't lock or unlock any of the doors or work with the Transmission lock. Haven't been able to find anyone in my area who can make a key for it yet.
    -Can I fit larger tires on it easily? Is that recommended?
    - It doesn't seem to have much power or acceleration. Maybe I'm just not used to it.
    -What kind of mpg does this thing get?
    -Where the frick is the radiator and coolant?
    -Is it rear wheel, front wheel or 4 wheel drive?
    -Good place to find parts for it? I did manage to find a service manual in english for it on Amazon. It's set to arrive Monday. Can't wait to see it.

Specs:
    VIN: Begins with HH3...I've heard this is the specific type, correct?
    Model: ACTY SDX Van
    Year: 1990
    Transmission: Automatic
    Has a heater and air conditioning, which I've heard is rare for these ACTY models.
    Odometer- 54,694 kilometers

Anyway any advice or tips or information on the car I can be given would be much appreciated! I've been told by mail carriers that you'll wear your car out fast, but it's a Honda so I'm hope it will last. Below are some pictures of the vehicle. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. shogun

shogun Member

Here in Japan the Kei cars are used for exactly the purpose you want to use it, for example the Japan post office uses Kei vans to deliver parcels. I will try to answer some questions:
    -When at a complete stop, the car jerks/vibrates a bit.>>>>switch the heater/cooler fan on to lowest stage, when you switch that on, the idle increases a bit when more consumers are used, so that the alternator runs at higher speed, this helps also to reduce the vibrations. If that does not help, maybe you clean up the carburator. https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kurumanosentakuya/archive/2012/3/25

I'm pretty sure the ignition on the steering wheel was rebuilt at some point, because the key I was given starts and runs the vehicle, but it won't lock or unlock any of the doors or work with the Transmission lock. Haven't been able to find anyone in my area who can make a key for it yet.
    >>>> any locksmith can do that, at least here in Japan, there is no chip inside, it is just a ordinary, simple key. In case the locksmith does not have a fitting blank key, order a blank key for example from here and the locksmith does the rest
    http://yokohamamotors.net/page39.html

-Can I fit larger tires on it easily? Is that recommended?>>>>>> no need actually, but if you want, use the forum search, there are some old thread about this subject

- It doesn't seem to have much power or acceleration. Maybe I'm just not used to it.>>>> well, it is not a F1 rocket, get used to it

-What kind of mpg does this thing get?>>>>my 1997 truck has per 1 liter about 15 km, but that all depends on your driving style and full throttle = more fuel consumption. As the power of the engine is not much, we use often full throttle and that has of course negative effect on the fuel consumption.

-Where the frick is the radiator and coolant?>>>>You can fill up the coolant (at least on my truck) inside the cabin, there is a flap under the dash on passenger side, behind that is the radiator cap
    Use the online parts diagrams and there you see the radiator , here I posted the online spare parts lists by VIN https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/parts-diagrams-parts-search-by-frame-number.17214/
    coolant bleeding https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/coolant-flush-how-to.16155/

-Is it rear wheel, front wheel or 4 wheel drive?>>> they were available in all configurations, standard was rear wheel drive, 4WD was extra cost, yours is a rear wheel drive

3. DWils

DWils Member

Using the VIN and the engine code will tell you which trim level of SDX you have. The service manual will tell you where the radiator is and the coolant reservoir is under the rear passenger seat on the left side. Be careful to not put radiator fluid in the windshield washer fluid tank though because the two are right next to each other in the same place.