1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1989 Carry Transmission does not want to engage first gear well

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Robert McGowan, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Robert McGowan

Robert McGowan New Member

Hello from Canada, just bought a 1989 carry with the VIN being DB41T211391, tag says it should be a 547cc engine but valve cover says its a 660 12 valve, thinking an engine swap was done down the line. Does not want to engage first gear well or some times at all, checked cable adjustment and all is good there, thinking first gear synchro is shot, anyone know where transmission parts or a rebuilt is available, have check part sites and so far no luck. thanks inadvance Robert

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Is first gear a super low, and unsynchronized? I think some of them came that way. Do you have a two speed transfer case?

And, please click on your avatar, to open your page, and put the information on your truck in your signature. It makes it lots easier to give advice when you need it.

3. Robert McGowan

No I have a three speed transfer case 2L 2H 4L

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Are you certain the clutch is fully disengaging?

5. Robert McGowan

yes clutch is working fine goes into 2nd 3rd 4th fine. just first gear sometimes if you hold the stick it will stay in first or it will jump out that's why I'm looking for synchro and possible gear parts

6. Kirk B

Kirk B Member

Check out Megazip.com oem parts.if you order get all parts at once.synchros for all gears seals etc best to change all don't want tear it apart twice. Don't go for cheap China parts.