1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1987 Mitsubishi 3 speed?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Marc Shepard, May 14, 2019.

?

Would anyone be able to assist me? My mini is a lhd 3 speed manual and its governed at 25 or 30mph.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Marc Shepard

Marc Shepard New Member

Could anyone on here assist me? My mini is a LHD 1987 3 speed manual and its governed at 25mph. Is it possible that it actually has 4 gears and is blocked somehow? I've never seen a 3 speed before. Also is there any way to take the governor off? Thanks!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

On the lhd Hijets, of that time frame, they had an electronic control, which pulsed a solenoid in the main fuel circuit of the carb to limit the top speed.

3. Marc Shepard

Marc Shepard New Member

Anyway around it. It sucks going 25mph lol

4. rmay635703

rmay635703 New Member

Disconnect the solenoid?

5. Marc Shepard

Marc Shepard New Member

I'm thinking mine might be controlled through the distributor somehow. I'll check the fuel line where it goes into the carb and check for that solenoid.

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

They may have installed a five speed transmission body with the first two gears replaced with idlers, and a transfer case, locked into low range. That would be the best gear setup for a speed limited version, for industrial use. Without going to the expense to make a limited run of special transmissions. Toyota in the early seventies, had a four speed, and a five speed which shared the same body. They just put an idler where the fifth gear would have been, and limited the shifter travel.

The solenoid is part of the carb, the speed limited ones had two solenoids one to kill the ideal circuit when the key was off to prevent the dieseling when you shut the ignition off. The Second solenoid, was mounted to the side of the fuel bowl, and had a needle the went into the main jet. When the governed speed setting was reached, the solenoid pushed the needle forward, into the jet, and cut off the fuel. this limited the speed. This is typically of older systems.

My 94 S110P Hijet, uses a different system to limit engine revs. On it there is a solenoid which dumps air into the chamber, which opens and closes the constant vacuum portion of the carb, and thus limits both air and fuel into the engine. It could also be used as speed governor, if a sensor/control system was added to cut the throttle. When the vehicle speed hit a predetermined point.

The other method on a carbureted engine, is to randomly cut the spark. This requires an ignition control box which controls the spark. Typically such units don’t have points.