1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1987 daihatsu s81p 2 inch lift kit

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by David Melvin, Oct 15, 2020.

1. David Melvin

David Melvin New Member

Everything I find says pre 1999 or 1988 up? Any ideas on which one will fit? And which one is best?

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I think that Limestone lifted his S81P, but he may have made his own kit.

The kit for the 88 and up, should fit. The only major difference between the S81, and the S83 was the move to the never displacement engine, from 550-cc to 660-cc. They may have tweaked the brakes a bit. I think they may have gone from front drums, to discs.

3. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did! I built my own 2 inch lift kit, it's just not that difficult for some of us! I'm not sure which kits your talking about, and who your getting them from, but from all of the past posters and guys who have done it, everyone seems to agree not to go over 2 inches! I agree with that whole heartedly! Some say if an 1 1/2 is enough, that they prefere that! So what are you trying to accomplish? Looks? Higher clearance for off road use? Hunting? Hauling? Higher clearance for larger tires? All of the above? Like Jigs suggested, the kit for 88 and up, seems to play it safe!
    Limestone

4. David Melvin

David Melvin New Member

Just wanting to get a little more clearance on my front tires when I'm off road I'm not going over 2 inches from what I have read that is bad on axles.

5. Limestone

Cool! Yeah, like Jigs said, the kit for the 88 and up, sounds good! I would make sure that who ever your getting it from, that if it doesn't work out you could send it back! With out you listing it here, we have no idea what your buying! Just what the info you provided us with!
    Limestone

6. David Melvin

David Melvin New Member

Not sure how to upload things yet but I'll try. The kit I'm looking at has the strut spacers in the front and longer shackles in the rear

7. David Melvin

David Melvin New Member

Limestone how did you build yours for the front I weld all metals and have plasma cutter been in fabrication work for years just point me in the right direction please and I could save a lot of money

8. Limestone

Well, First I replaced the struts, and Coil over Springs with different ones explained in another post, per Jigs and Fixtures, suggestion! I had the rear springs, re arched by adding another leaf to the stack, and upped the hauling capabilities by about 60 %! They were over taxed, and spent, so, I went through a local Spring shop that I've known for years, and re installed them, and made up some rear shackles to my liking, and WALLA! I'm working my mini pretty hard, even though I don't abuse her, she's gotta earn her keep! I still have more that I want to do to her, but I've got a lot of Irons in the fire at all times, and when I get a minute I'll jump onto the next thing! You've got a head start on many, and I love hearing about the skills that you posses it will really help you a lot! I read this forum, a lot before I joined. There's a lot of info on here, it just takes a minute! Look at pictures! A lot of mini truck pictures! Ideas, abound, in pics! Get a plan! I'm sure that you have a plan, on what you want to do with your unit. Everyday driver? Hobby truck? Off road? Hunting vehicle? Multi purpose like many of us? The sky is the limit! Parts can get expensive, and pricey, when and if you find them! Plan, plan, plan!!! It's okay to change your mind, that's half the fun! Set a budget, and plan! My Front end is operational, and working fine, because I planned it that way, but When my buddy gives me his like brand new snow plow, for free, then I'll finish the front end, and make adjustments, as I need too! Mine isn't an everyday driver, so, I can do that! I have other vehicles, and toys!
    Limestone

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

David, as a fabricator, you might find this guys videos fun.

To add the information on your truck you go into the profile, and add it as the signature lines.

David Melvin and Limestone like this.