1966 Mini cab no spark problems

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by old dog, Sep 21, 2020.

1. old dog

old dog New Member

I have a i think 1996 mini cab , it was running then just stopped , after checking everything normal , i have no spark (i do not have the j153 ignition module) , i have the one that just has 2 connections not the 4 on the j153 , is there a cdi module on these trucks or just the ignition control mod in the dist. Thanks and if anyone knows where i should be checking next i would really really appreciate it as this truck is driving me crazy

2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about the ignition failure. It is somewhat common. It is because we had the very module failure that we now stock them at goldstarparts.com

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’d check and see if Pertronix makes a kit that will work with your distributor.

Limestone put one in his Hijet, and it is working fine.

Limestone likes this.
  4. Jerry Danielson

Jerry Danielson New Member

Just finished trying to get my no spark 92 Mitsubishi minicab fired up again. Coil checked out good. All wire look good (no cracks or breaks). Took off distributor cap and found corrosion on rotor contact point and a lot of corrosion on the three spark plug contacts on distributor cap. Cleaned everything with dry 600 grit sand paper. I could see the corrosion disappearing. Fired up immediately. Whew!

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

After I clean Contact points like that, I like to put a little Di-Electric Grease, on them! It's amazing, how well that keeps corrosion at bay!
    Limestone

6. Arty

Arty Active Member

Limestone. - Your tip on using the di-electrice grease on the distributor cap contacts is a great idea!! Why didn't I think of it years ago!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  7. Limestone

Arty,
    I've been called crazy, and that's okay, too, but you know when you change a light bulb in your house, and you've got all you can do to not rip the thin tin metal, fixture, held by a couple cheap rivets, apart? Well, I use special, gun cleaning, q-tip Swabs, from my, Gun Cleaning Kit! I have some Di-electric grease in a plastic pill bottle, with a hole in the top, for the stick part of the swab to stick out, and with the medical, twist lock cap, on the pill bottle, it really works well for light bulbs, contact points, etc.........! A little Di-electric grease on your fixtures, keeps your bulbs, threads, slippery so next time you change them, Walla! Easy Peasy! I told you Crazy!!! Were used to using it on Automotive applications, but I use it, in a lot of different situations! Been doing it for Years!
    Limestone

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  8. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I use a product called Wonder Lube that comes in a tube and is a synthetic grease that is kind of translucent, nearly clear. I says on the tube that it is an excellent di-electric . Like Limestone I use it on everything. On thing I found that it works really well for is the contacts in a well pressure switch. We were having a lot of trouble with ants getting into ours and getting fried and causing the contacts to stick together. I started sanding them down and using this stuff on them ant it stopped the problem.

9. Arty

Arty Active Member

Who knew!!

10. Limestone

Jim,
    It's funny that you bring that up. Just a few weeks back. I was at our hunt camp, in PA., and our well, for our well water, is in a 5 ft. x 4 ft. underground, small room, with a concrete lid on it, that you slide off to the side to go down into. Not the best set up, and I've often threatened to change. The Contacts were sticking also, I used some di-electric grease on those, and all the electrical contacts in the well, and it's helped a lot! No more sticking Contacts! The well pump motor kicks on every time! I have seen and used that product, Wonder Lube. Like you said, it's a silicone based, Di- Electric grease! Like my friend Tim, always says, "Something Slippery is better than nothing at all"!
    Limestone

11. Limestone

Not to beat the subject to death, but I just replaced a thermostat, in the house on one of the furnaces, and For the illuminated display, they provide a couple AA batteries, and like I always do, I coat both ends of the batteries with, yep you guessed it, Di Electric Grease! You know when batteries are left in something too long and they start growing things, in a whitish form, and turns green, and brown, etc... You get the picture! NOPE, nada, THIS IS COMPLETELY ELIMINATED! Just thought I'd add that!
    Limestone

12. Arty

Arty Active Member

Am I ever glad this subject came up. I'm a convert. - - I'm going to start using this stuff all over the place. - - It's funny. I am a retired telephone technician, and we used to use dielectric grease in the power room to defeat corrosion on the battery terminals, but for some reason, I never expanded my thinking to use it in other areas. - - Go figure!!

13. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

It's kind of funny but I have been using it for years on all electrical stuff, even the batteries in the Harbor Freight give away flashlights. The chinesium batteries in them seem to corrode faster than most but a little dab will do you and they last as long as Duracell or any others.

Limestone likes this.
  14. Limestone

I agree Jim, even in the Harbor Freight flashlights! In our climate, we get a lot of moisture, caused by different in temperature! So, with that I just always imagined how that moisture works it's way into Ity, Bity places, and deteriorates our stuff, while were sleeping! LOL! I haven't had to clean battery terminals, for years, since I started using the coated felt washers, under the cable camps on my battery's for yrs.! To me, preventative maintenance, is Second Nature! That's all Di Electric grease is-more preventative maintenance! Keep sharing Ideas guy's. I'm learning a lot!
    Limestone

15. Richard P Schwarte

Richard P Schwarte New Member

16. Richard P Schwarte

This actually works very well

Attached Files:

17. Richard P Schwarte

I did this to mine