1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16 inch rims ?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by dirtco, Jun 15, 2008.

1. dirtco

dirtco New Member

has anyone got 16 , 17mabye 18 inch rims with low profile tires on there mini ?

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I don't think that any of the trucks have the power to turn anything that big a diameter.
    You might get away with the smallest 45 series 16 inch [195/45/16] - 22.9inches tall or
    195/40/16 @ 22.2 inches tall. The smallest 17 inch tire is a 215/35/17 which works out
    to 22.9 inch by almost 9 inches wide and the smallest 18 inch is a 215/35/18 @ 23.9 inches tall.
    I think you would have problems at the front trying to turn lock to lock unless you do some serious sheet metal work.
    Remember the stock tire on this truck is 21.1 inches tall and the people running
    offroad ATV tires mostly run 23x8x12's with a lift kit of 2-3 inches. Been reading where some
    of the people with 3 inch lifts are going back down due to CV joint problems.

3. dirtco

dirtco New Member

thanx for the info this place is like the mini truck oracal

4. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

larry,

that link to the samba brought back memories, i forgot about that sight. ever go check out www.cal-look.com?

6. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

i'll check it out.

i think my next build will be a Volksrod. just as soon as i finish this 30 year project!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

8. Mighty Milt

i've put those together for the budget minded duner ;) not exactly the safest way, but better than standing on a dune as an obstacle.. lol... at least like that you are a moving target!

9. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

i've been riding this 1 since 1975. it has got me into and out-of more trouble ! now i run an vintage tag.is it safe ?, NO! . fun?, OH YES! and i haven't been killed on it even once! :)

dmerc444 likes this.
  10. Mighty Milt

here's what i was running a few years ago....

http://www2.cal-look.com/members/Pugh/pugh.html

and an action shot out at irwindale at the battle of the imports, that was second gear shift... on the way back down :D

street legal car, all metal, no fibreglass... i even had a radio in the dash. i built the motor and 90% of everything else... i don't know anything about transmission. we ran it on 6" slicks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  11. dirtco

dirtco New Member

oh those 17 look nice probly look better on a truck tho .cost a pretty pennie i bet

12. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

That's pretty cool :cool: