1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13" Mits wheels

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by BC_MMC, Dec 4, 2009.

1. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

There are now 3 of us looking for 13" rims for winter tires for our Mitsubishis in town.
    Nothing available in local wrecking yards.
    13" 4x4.5 (or 114.3 or 115 whatever) 4 1/2 wide - or wider with no offsets
    Any ideas for a Cdn supplier? Too slow, too expensive to bring over the border.
    Canadian Tire called said they had some but when I showed up they wouldn't even look, claimed there was no such stock number as the guy gave me. It was just too FN hard to get off the stool and walk over to look in the stock room.

2. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

I think I have a spare set of 13"x4" in 4x114.3mm steel rims in my garage still. I used my spare 13"x5.5" rims for my Suzuki all seasons and my spare 13"x4.5" for my snows already.

4. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

I had found some 13" 4/12" wide rims listed at Cdn Tire that would appear to do the job. I called, confirmed they were in stock but the day I drove in the lazy little turd simply denied the part number was legit, the wheels were there, or a supervisor was available even when the pdf printout was shoved in his face.
    Called again the other day, got a yes again but the damn place is 2 1/2 hours away on now wintry roads. So I have to take a day off work and try again. If they fit I'll buy their entire stock for the guys here and bring them back to buy the tires off our local Kal Tire. And make sure the supervisor knows why!

5. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

BC MMC, if your really stuck on those 13" rims from CT I can part with my 4 spare 13"x4" steelies. PM me if you want them.

6. zazenmaster

zazenmaster Member

Could you post the part numbers?

Hi BC_MMC.

If you have a second, could you post the Canadian Tire part number for the rims?

When I phoned my local Canadian Tire to see if they had any 12" tires the BART (Barely Acceptable Retail Teenager) I talked to said they don't stock 'em, never heard of 'em, can't get 'em. So I bought a set at a small independent store. When I went back to Canadian Tire to have the BC OOP inspection, I was chatting with the senior guy and he said "Of course we can 12" tires. Musta been the new guy you talked to". :confused: Sounds like another case of Canadian Tire driving away customers with a stick.

7. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

GAWD these things are annoying...
    The Canadian Tire number is:
    09-6152-4 X41341 13x4 1/2 rim 4x4 /12 bolt pattern $49.99
    you will need spacers, I'm getting a set of 5mm to accommodate the studded 155/80/13s.
    Tire shops will NOT put washers for spacing for liability reasons.
    Any more spacing and you'll need to change the lugs. Good luck with that!

In the end I'll have sunk $850 into rims, tires, spacers, valves, balancing and a set of wheel covers. !!!!

8. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Sounds like you have rims for a FWD offset if you need spacers BC. $850 into steel rims, snows, spacers and mounting & balancing? That's outrageous! Including sandblasting, paint, new tires, beauty rims and moonies I've got $450 into mine so far thank god! I've been using RWD offset 13" steel rims from my old Datsun 510.

9. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

No wrecker nearby had Datsun 510 wheels, no suppler nearby can get an aftermarket 13" RWD.
    I swear I'll drive to Vancouver next spring and buy up every 510 rim I can get my hands on! I was hunting on behalf of 2 other Mits owners as well. One brought in 12" Carlisles from the US (they are not street legal AFAIK) the other had 14" SS ATV rims (not legal either) and spent a hell of a lot more than that for low profile 14" tires.
    I needed top grade studded winter tires here and the 12" Westlake 6 ply are good in summer.
    I did find some $39 WalMart tires but they were all-season P.O.S. single-ply sidewall. They'd last a week here in summer.

BTW: She fired up ok yesterday at -39C. Plugged in of course, and the heater unable to keep up driving around even with a new winter thermostat.

10. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

LOL BC! 510 rims are 40 years out of production these days, but, you could look for Toyota RWD steelies as well. They're all 4x114.3mm with appropriate RWD offsets ...

I bought all season tires at the local wally world, $41 each for 175/70/13 as I've already got a set of new 185/80/13 studs mounted and a set of 175/70/13 snow tires mounted too. I'm on pavement 99% of the time so I should be OK.

11. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

Here they be, mateys! Studded Arctic Claw 155/80/13s on Cdn Tire rims with 5 mm spacers.
    What a difference on ice! Less spinning, sliding in 2WD and the ride's much smoother on 13" as well.

Attached Files:

12. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Thats not a bad looking tire at all!

13. zazenmaster

zazenmaster Member

Spacers

Sorry, I know nothing about tires.

Why do the Canuckish Tire rims require spacers?

Would they rub, or not fit over the brakes or what?

Robb

14. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

depending on the offset they could rub the calipers,struts..sometimes a coiple mms is all thats needed to get them away from the problem

15. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

So I walk into Princess Auto and for the first time they have 13" 4x4.5" spaced white trailer rims with the perfect offset - 0.....
    grrr!

16. confuzed

confuzed Member

I have a Subaru not sure if it has the same bolt patter as ur MITS i hunted the wreckers with a template and calipers first set no calipers grrrrrr center hub was too small went back found a 98 nissan stanza whell was a fit but..... it pushes my tire out about an inch further than stock. It is not a rub concern and it does not spray a lot up the sides of the truck as you can see in the pix posted in "how to get a mini stuck".the truck was driven on winter highways and city streets for about three weeks since the last washing.I know with the Subaru it is easy to find the bolt patter (spacing) but watch the center hole most are too small.

17. Handyandy

Handyandy New Member

BC_MMC: How did you check for the offset at Princess Auto? Is it printed on the rims?:confused:

18. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

I didn't. The 'spokes' are in the very middle of the rim like old RWD days, which I think is called zero offset.
    vs about 10mm in from the outside edge and still barely fits with spacers on the ones I got.

19. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i bought my wheels from Kal tire in edmonton for 89.00 a year ago, 35mm offset needed 5mm spacer in front tires are 165/55VR-14" :D
    wyatt

20. zardoz

zardoz Member

BC MMC, who balanced your tires? I'm asking because the right rear looks like it has a pile of weight on it. If I were balancing those tires and needed to mount that much weight I would have broke the bead and turned the tire on the rim to find a happier balance point.

z

21. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

lol :D my wheels are center balanced (no weights on the outside), i think what you are looking at is a little wheel model stamp. the heaviest wheel took .75oz, two took 0oz's.:D
    wyatt

22. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

Balanced by Kal Tire. They probably didn't even think, they're used to doing logging trucks and F350s all day. Works fine, hidden behind wheel covers now, and they have to come off in the next couple weeks.
    Good God are they loud at 110 on the highway. Spend all that $$$ and we don't even get a winter this year.
    I may suggest they do that next fall.

And it's ALL OLDSNOWMAN'S FAULT. He bought the last 13" rims they carried. Nothing in 13" at Kal Tire anymore.
    Now if only Princess Auto would bring 12" 4x4.5 trailer wheels and 23" Carlisle All Trails.... I'd be muddin' (they had a set of 12" 4x100s with 25" quad tires for $229)

23. zardoz

zardoz Member

I just realized that I've seen your canuck tire rims somewhere else before.... on MY truck LOL I have the exact same rims on my beast. I bought them as rims for a "GEO Metro" they fit my truck perfect so I didn't question the source.

z

24. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

I had to use 5mm spacers so the tires I wanted wouldn't rub on the front on mine.
    I also found a set of Hyundai 14" tires and rims that fit perfectly at the junkyard last week.
    Unfortunately they were so tall (almost 24.5 inches) and skinny it looked like I was riding on bicycle wheels!

25. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi BC MMC
    lol :D my wheels are 14"...and i didn't get them balanced at Kal i have a buddy in town who has a tire shop that let me mount the tires & balance my own wheels:D. i have worked in the tire business for a long time, and i know a few tricks. if you want to find wheels like mine and Kal does not carry them any more, look for them on the internet there call EVO-7.
    wyatt

26. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

the tires i have on my truck right now are 21.13" tall (stock height), so no lost of power and handles great :D
    wyatt

27. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i had to use 5mm spacers on the front because offset was 35mm

28. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

My Mitsu is officially a service/promotional vehicle for my business and involves a LOT of use off pavement. Clawed my way up sharp bare rock to service mountaintop towers several times, and the 6ply Westlake 12"ers were fantastic for that (21").
    Yesterday we did about 80 kms on damp gravel with my 13" winters, and it felt quite wobbly and loose cruising at 90. The 13" are about 22 3/4".
    My friend at Kal Tire advised that any tires on those 14" Evo7s would need to be so low profile they'd be useless off pavement.

29. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

your buddy is right :D you can see in my picture there isn't much side wall, yep no good for off pavement, but on the street there great :D
    wyatt

30. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

Put the 12" back on Friday and noticed more pep accelerating, but damn the ride's a lot rougher too. Thinking about those 13" Princess Auto rims and a cheap set of WalMart tires for on pavement use again.... I'll use the 12" offroad.