1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

105,000 km and counting

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

How many km should I expect to get out of a Sambar? That little 660 works pretty hard because I live and work at opposite ends of a 10km hill, much of which is 7% or so. I wonder what I should expect for longevity. I have an oil leak that is getting worse and at some point I have to deal with it.

The belt, tensioner, and a few other parts have been replaced about 20K back. Should I be saving for a rebuilt? New engine? How much is all this going to cost?

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

minitruck.ca has full rebuild kits for around $1000 if I'm not mistaken...105k excellent...address the oil leak and drive her till she gives up the ghost...I can't see why 200k isn't possible

3. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I've got ~143 000km on mine and it's running good...probably a bit overdue for a timing belt, water pump, and clutch replacement though (hoping it was done already at 100K but I'm not counting on it).

4. Jessf

Jessf Member

what about your con rod bearings?

that's what went on my engine at around 96,000km

5. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

What did it cost you to get those bearings changed? How would one know if they need replacing?

I've already threatened my truck that if it has any major engine troubles I'm ripping it out and converting it to electric!

6. Jessf

Jessf Member

7. Janlone

Janlone Member

If the c rod bearing are wearing out, you will hear ticking sounds coming from the engine.

The engine rebuild kit only consists of seals, and gaskets right? By replacing them alone, won't you still loose compression if the pistons are not machined?

8. Jessf

Jessf Member

I believe the kit comes with new pistons and rings, but double check that.

your main concern would be machining the cylinder walls and verifying if the crank shaft needs machining.

I prefer not to drive my truck past 80km/h. Despite the higher speeds other choose to drive their trucks at I prefer to keep the RPM as low as possible. The 3cyl trucks seem to have fewer engine issues, maybe because the engine components are slightly larger and robust.