1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04' Suzuki Carry Fuel problems (pump)

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by mcbride68camaro, Dec 23, 2008.

1. mcbride68camaro

mcbride68camaro New Member

Great website! Just signed up

My father has a 04' Carry and we are having some problems with this thing. The truck starts great, but after awhile of running it, the pump acts as though it is starving out. We were told the new body style trucks have in-tank pumps, but this one had an inline (bosch) pump.

The pump is strong and is putting out great pressure, but something just doesn't seem right. We even swapped another new inline fuel pump and the same thing happened.

We are trying to figure out what kind of fuel pump was on this thing from the factory (in-tank or in-line) and what GPM. If anyone knows this, that would be great.

Another thing I am wondering is if there could be a kink in the return line causing the system to quit working. Once the motor runs for a few minutes it will die and not fire until the truck sets for a few minutes.

Another thing that I am questioning is, shouldn't the return need to be pressurized by a pump? I know the pumps on a car carry the fuel to the motor and then push the fuel back to the tank at a lower GPM.

We are confused. We had a mechanic friend look at it and he claims the pump is fine. We don't know what it could be, but I am going to trace the line tommorow and see if we can find a kink in the return. If it isn't that, I don't know.

Any thoughts or things to consider?? We are having a heck of a time with this thing. We have 5 mini trucks right now and have owned 15+ and never had any issues.

Thanks, AM

2. Ravk

Ravk Member

The fuel screen inside the tank may be plugged up, Or the fuel filter is plugged.
    Either way, the flow would be good to begin with but the volume would be lacking.

3. mcbride68camaro

we replaced the fuel filter and it was the same situation. I will check out the screen inside the tank though.

I wish I knew if this truck was a factory in tank pump, or in line pump. We don't have any 99 and never trucks and don't have anything to reference it to.

Thanks for the reply, AM

4. Rickster

Rickster Member

What model is your truck (DA62, DB52, etc.) My manual for the 99-04 shows an in-tank pump bolted in with 6 bolts from the top of the tank. It appears that the whole pump assy lifts out from the top. I would like to know why it has an in-line pump in it. If someone just installed it and let it pump through the original in-tank pump, that could be a big problem. I would think they would have to fabricate some sort of fuel pick-up that would bolt in place of the original pump. I have a 2002 DA62T and the pump is in the tank like the manual shows. Can you run the pump and verify fuel to the rail?

Where is your fuel filter located? I can't find one on mine and was assuming it just had some sort of screen in front of the pump.

5. mcbride68camaro

I see your from N. Central OK. My family is outside of Perry. My brother has quite a few trucks over in Stillwater at his Motorcycle shop.

Our thoughts are that the pump was hit when loaded in the containers to be shipped because the tank was a little rough. You can tell the tank had an intank pump. They replaced it with an inline that way it would run, but its not running right of course!

We have been unable to get our parts guy to send us parts.

Anyone know where I could locate the whole fuel pump assembly.

The manual you have, is it in PDF format? I am trying to find a manual for these things in English, but I was unsure if they existed or not.

Thanks, Andrew

6. Rickster

Rickster Member

Try G&R (sponsor here) and talk to Steve. They would have to order from Japan and it might be cost prohibitive. You also might try to see if you can repair the original pump or find a salvage one (that will be hard). The OEM part # for the fuel pump set is 15100-78842.

There is also someone in Canada (I think) named Darcy at www.samuraitrucks.com. They claim they can have any part from Japan to Canada within a week!

I would definitely yank out the original pump or whatever they put in it's place and see if you can fix it. Where was that filter?

The manual is not PDF, but is in English and worth buying from LULU.com. It was $69 and you will get it in about a week. It is called Suzuki Parts Catalogue English Version 1999-2004 carry/every/every wagon. Basically a parts diagram with exploded views and OEM part numbers. If you use it once, it pays for itself. I have had it a week and already used it 4 or 5 times.

7. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Link to English Manuals

McBride68Camero,

This is a link to all of the different English translated manuels from James Danko. They are awesome and a lot of time and effort went into making these possible, so another thanks goes out to them. I am pretty sure that you will need the manual for the Suzuki K6A class engine as well as the 1999-2004 Suzuki Parts Manual. I think this is the answer you are looking for. Rickster is up on the newer K6A Truck as well and he is really helpful, if you just send him a personal message by clicking on his username and select "send PM". I learn something everytime I read a post. Hope this helps.:) By the way, Welcome to the site!

http://stores.lulu.com/tkojames

Some people on this site would quickly tell you to do a search before posting, but I am here to help when I can and learn from others when I have questions. I can often times give you the answer you are looking for in the same amount of typing that it would take for me to tell you to just do a search.:frustration:

8. mcbride68camaro

Thanks for the reply. I tried the search option before starting a post, but nothing came up. Our parts supplier and go to information guy has given us the run around so we are trying to figure this thing out.

I was told from a guy that our truck doesn't have a return line. I believe this to be correct because there is no line coming off of the injectors, but there are a couple of lines running out of the tank, 1 being the main fuel line. I guess the other is the vent line?

We are going to get a manual ordered from LuLu's and go from there, but eveyones info. has given us a head start.

Thanks, AM

9. Rickster

Rickster Member

Just a thought, but you might want to look at a fuel pump for a Suzuki Cappucinno or simlar vehicle. If it is has an in-tank pump it could possibly be the same or similar and might be easier to obtain.

10. drcody

drcody New Member

2000 suzuki carry in-tank fuel pump damage

mcbride68camaro I am dealing with a similar issue, I witnessed our 2000 Suzuki Carry dealer swap out leaking in-tank fuel pumps 3 times when we were shopping. I was satisfied that they gave me the best (least damaged) fuel pump amongst their some 10 units on the lot. But now after our 2 month warranty has already expired I'm trying to find a pump to replace the damaged one we're stuck with.

Yes it's true that on these newer carry models somewhere in transport forklifts damage the plastic stem which comes off the pump where the fuel line is attached. The pump I have was remedied with a small steel tube inserted into the hole where there used to be plastic stem protruding. They used some sort of epoxy which cracked and started to leak last week, I added some epoxy over theirs and kept driving, that didn't last long. Now I have taken all the epoxy off am prepared to re-epoxy the darn thing again, but there has got to be a better solution. Anybody know of a bonding agent impervious to gasoline which is more flexible, less likely to crack than the common De-Con type liquid steel that I'm using?

Here's a badly shot cameraphone photo of the pump and the epoxy dripped over the white plastic.
    [​IMG]

I'd like a new pump. Thank you Rickster for providing the part number, but I suppose ordering a new one through a North American intermediary is going to be expensive. I am in Cebu, Philippines. Probably the capital of these second hand mini-trucks. I guess I have to hit the pavement and find a less damaged old pump.

Please let me know if the in-tank fuel pumps from other models fit the newer model Suzuki Carry. I don't see any cappuccinos around here, but I'll explore that avenue.

11. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

You could try going online to a few places that show pictures of the aftermarket pumps.
    It will mean scrolling thru the pictures but you might get lucky.

Not in any order:

napaonline.com - go to "search cataloge" use "fuel pump" for search term

Rockauto.com - you can search by make/ model

Racepages.com - you can do a site search using "fuel pump"

All these sights have pictures so you might be able to match something up.

As for a way to fix your pump maybe there is a better adhesive like this
    http://eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm - I have not used this just trying to find a solution for you,

12. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

is there enough plastic left to tap it and screw a barbed fittin in it? when i worked at the refinery we had 2 part putty epoxy that was meant for liquid chemicals that worked on petroleum soaked parts. it's been almost 20 years so i don't remember the name of it, but i'm sure it's only been improved upon in that amount of time.

13. drcody

drcody New Member

Thanks for the tips timetripper. I viewed photos of fuel pumps on all three sites with no luck. Napa seemed closest, but I viewed about 2000 images without a match.

Here are photos of the hole and the existing pipe they had bonded in there.

Mighty Milt, the tap/screw idea is a great one, but when I looked closer it seems only a few mm are available to screw into. It's not easy to see from these photos but there are two chambers delivering fuel up to the point where I need to attach a stem. If I find a pipe with a tighter fit or screw one in, only a few mm into the plastic hole there is no longer a bottom wall because the first chamber begins. Getting the pipe in further beyond the first chamber to where there is a second (smaller) hole leaading to the second chamber would brace the pipe better but would also block the first chamber opening.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    larger larger

[​IMG][​IMG]
    larger larger

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll try using the epoxy I have and document the results here. wishlist for a bonding agent are:
    • Gasoline resistance
    • Bonding to hard plastic and metal
    • Flexible
    I've learned that epoxies don't offer flexibility. I read something about Polyurethane Adhesive that looked promising, resistance to gasoline, flexible, bonds to plastic and metal. Then I found Methacrylate Adhesives. They seem to bond plastics and metals (with or without priming). And in the case of this product it seems to offer flexibility as well.
    Flex Welder
    other Methacrylate products from same company that might work: Metal Welder, Plastic Welder.

I'm sure I could just order a new pump, but that would be a last ditch effort even if I had the spare dough.

14. drcody

drcody New Member

the dev-con "plastic steel" epoxy I used to fix the aluminum replacement stem into the gaping hole of the fuel pump has held up after a days driving. Thanks to the minitruck community for advice and resources.

15. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Great to hear your back on the road :)

16. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

have you ever heard of plastic welding? it's like metal welding but with plastics. i've never seen it done but i've seen the results. i think harbor freight sells plastic welders... i think they are like a concentrated heat gun?? might be worth looking into if the epoxy lets you down again

17. drcody

drcody New Member

I was thinking plastic to plastic with something like you suggest meant to bond plastics would be a better solution than my current aluminum to plastic with epoxy. I also replaced the fuel line because it suddenly burst in multiple spots when I re-installed the pump. I thought that was strange. It's old, but why didn't it show signs of leakage before it suddenly burst? I'm thinking because the hose was sitting for a few days dry, maybe caused cracking. Another side note from this fuel pump stem repair is that the puppy starts quicker now. I think the position of the aluminum stem this time around leaves more room for the two chambers of gas to be delivered to the fuel line. I pointed the stem downward when setting the epoxy for this reason, and it seems to have helped. [​IMG]
    I had to saw and chip away the epoxy at the base to make room for the ring that has 6 holes to bolt the pump into place. (that's not a crack in the epoxy, that's my gf's hair, dunno how it got in there).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009