1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04' Suzuki Carry Bumper

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Joey Gibbs, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Joey Gibbs

Joey Gibbs Member

Attached Files:

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The Jeep bumper is pretty slick. But you need to think about load paths to get the bumper firmly attached to the frame.

I bought my Hijet to plow snow with, so I needed a solid bumper for that, and with mine being a pick-lift/dump version I also wanted a way to mount good outriggers for when I’m using the lift bed as a man-lift. So I ended up with a bumper consisting of two pieces of 2-1/2-inch square tubing separated buy receivers for 2-inch hitch mounts in the middle and the 0C33D056-3B8B-40CB-B93F-AE55A5288C47.jpeg ends.
    Yep it’s ugly, but highly functional.

I mounted my front bumper utilizing the factory mount points for the towing hoops, and have one central price of 2-1/2 tubing going to the center of the front suspension where the pivot for the steering mounts.

Yes if I hit something hard I may bend the frame and total the truck. I find that preferable to mounting a beefy looking bumper to the front sheet metal, so if I hit something, the bumper collapses back onto my feet.

I can buy a new truck. I’m kind of attached to my feet, need them more than the truck, and can’t buy another pair.

Limestone likes this.
  3. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

I just finished building a winch bumper for my truck, the paint is drying as we speak. If you go the Jeep bumper way you will need to fabricate custom brackets to adapt it to your truck and mount it to something solid especially if you mount a winch on it. Mine is bolted to the front frame and to the the two tow hook in the front. If you can weld and have basic fabricating skill its doable.

4. Jdar

Jdar New Member

Joey, I hear Ulmer farm services has clean looking reasonable bumpers. Let me know if that works out.

5. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

my front bumper is also 2.5" box tube... with a 2" hitch for my snowblade. my winch plate is right on top of that.

no budge, no give, no bending or twisting.... & only got about $15 in it.

6. Joey Gibbs

Joey Gibbs Member

Hello Everyone! Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful.
    I did get the bumper done after some minor modifications, 20201102_171430.jpg 20201102_171450.jpg 20201106_221107.jpg 20201107_102809.jpg 20201111_130718.jpg 20201129_230218 (1).jpg my buddy helped me as he is a welder. Added some bracing in the wheel well on the frame rails and extended the frame out past the factory bumper. then it was simple from there.

Limestone likes this.
  7. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

^^^^ VERY NICE!

that is some good looking HQ work there!!

gotta ask: what is all the big monster radiator stuff there? (my 02 doesnt look like that behind the grille)

8. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Very nice indeed, I like to see what others have done to their trucks. Mine is bolted one, I wanted to be able to revert to stock if needed. My 03 looks exactly like Joey's. The second radiator is for the AC if its what you where asking.

9. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Joey,
    I agree! Very Professional! Great Fab Work, including the Welds! Wire Fed? Or Stick? Also, Some Very good practical Engineering! The Pics really help to show your Quality Workmanship! To me, that's the Way that I would do it!
    Limestone

10. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

ah... see.... my older model with A/C had the condenser under the bed instead of out front. my 02 model doesnt have a/c. thats why that looked so packed in there.

11. DirtyGSer

DirtyGSer New Member

Wow, gorgeous work and well laid out!

12. Joey Gibbs

Joey Gibbs Member

Thanks everyone, it was wire fed welder. and yes the one on the left is for the AC. I also have a skid plate fabbed up for it, just need to bolt it on but have not had a spare 10 min lately. Maybe I will even wash it and upload some clean pictures with the skid plate installed.

13. Limestone

Just a thought! If you wanted too, you can cut small pieces of pipe, to protect, around the bolt heads on your skid plates! Not necessary, or even required, just a thought. If you do decide to do it, make sure your pipe dia. is large enough to accept a socket, for hex heads! You hit a bunch of rocks, in the creek, or what ever, and snap, or damage one bolt, or head of one, you'll be happy you over killed it! Just a thought!
    Limestone

14. Joey Gibbs

Joey Gibbs Member

Ya that's actually a really good idea! I will see how this all comes together.

15. Jdar

Jdar New Member

16. Jdar

Jdar New Member

Quality job! Are you now going to trim the front fascia to match? 4sonsoffroad tapers them about to that angle. I'm planning to tape off and cut mine on my 2011. Looks so much nicer to me.

17. Limestone

J,
    Keep up the great work, and pics! Were enjoying it!
    Limestone

18. installater

installater Active Member

Joey Gibbs great work & damn good looking, I do not require a winch so I went another way
    Picked up a scratch & dent DeeZee push bars cut down to fit between lights
    IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1082.jpg
    Regards
    Brian

Limestone likes this.
  19. Limestone

I like your Ingenuity!

20. installater

Thanks, appreciate it I do believe I am about done EXCEPT for a new motor in the spring/summer
    Putting together a F8B 800cc
    thumbnail (20).jpg thumbnail (22).jpg thumbnail (21).jpg

Limestone likes this.
  21. installater

Here is the Header
    thumbnail (18).jpg

Joey Gibbs and Limestone like this.
  22. Limestone

WOW!,
    I'm glad your not, scared of anything! LOL!!! I'M Lovin it! Can't wait to hear the rest of the Story!
    Limestone

23. Joey Gibbs

Joey Gibbs Member

Thanks Brian,

Yours looks really clean! I like that! Nice work on the engine as well!

24. installater

Thank you Mr. Gibbs I appreciate it, they are fun little trucks
    Regards
    Brian

25. matthew felt

matthew felt New Member

did you have to cut anything off the to put the plate on looks like you removed the factory initial front plate