1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘93 Hijet Clutch/Shifting Issue

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by HiJinks, Jul 20, 2022.

1. HiJinks

HiJinks Member

Hell all.
    Searched before posting, but call me out if I missed a thread.
    Over 200 mile drive today.
    Press clutch and sometimes get a noise/vibration I feel in pedal and gear shift lever. Issue continues as pedal is released and gear is engaged. (slight gear noise as it is engaged sometimes?) Then it stops. Otherwise truck ran fine over the almost 400 mile drive today.
    Vehicle has new clutch and release bearing done in January. BUT the retainer spring was a little ornery going on.
    Question:
    Is this perhaps a Release Bearing issue?
    Or, is this a clutch adjustment issue?
    Or, is my trans going?
    Any and all help is welcome.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft? If it is bad it lets the input shaft hang down. Which keeps the clutch from disengaging fully, and prevents it from centering on release.

You should always replace them when you do the clutch. They are relatively inexpensive, you are there already, so it doesn’t add much if any labor time. And, the pilot bearing being bad is a frequent cause of clutch failure.

Double check your clutch adjustment first. It is straight forward to do, and you don’t have to tear anything apart to be there.

Liberty4Ever likes this.
  3. HiJinks

HiJinks Member

Thanks. Sounds reasonable. I hope that’s the issue. Adjustment. I don’t really want to crawl under there to do the bearing and clutch again. But, live and learn.