1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘92 4WD Carry with dump bed, Diff lock won’t do 4WD

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by 436DZ, Jan 28, 2023.

1. 436DZ

436DZ New Member

When I picked up my newly acquired Carry truck the amber Axle Lock light was on, the 4WD light was NOT on, and the drive lever was in 2H. I did not understand what that meant, so I left the lever in 2H and blithely drove it home with the Axle Lock light glowing. The following day, I took a test drive down hill into the snowy woods where I have several months worth of work to do cutting and hauling out firewood - the main reason I bought the little beast. Before launching, I pulled the lever into 4L. I do not recall the 4WD dash light coming on, but the amber axle lock switch lamp was still lit. Not knowing about the dash light, I assumed I was in 4WD. It was not, and I soon got stuck. I tried all of the ways listed here and elsewhere to try getting into 4WD. No joy. I retired to the den to consult the interwebs. I also texted the seller who expressed his deep disappointment that the truck is not working properly, but who was of little help.

Just before dark, I returned to the little truck in the woods, raised the dump bed and did what every ignoramus does -wiggled wires, jiggled connectors, tapped on what might be solenoids, all while speaking gently and soothingly to the machine. Sure enough, whatever I did worked. I was able to get it into 4WD and drive up and out of the deep forest. The 4WD was on, the lever in 4L. It all just worked like it is supposed to work.

Since then, I have had two episodes of functioning 4WD, and several when nothing I did worked to get it engaged. At this moment, the truck is sitting in the woods on an icy flat area, unable to move forward or backward for lack of 4WD. (I may have to figure out a way to get my real truck’s winch involved in hauling it out.)

The seller’s “mechanic” says it is almost certainly a vacuum issue and that I should just replace all of the hoses.

I would like to use a more logical approach to diagnosing the issue and fixing it - like maybe testing some systems? Unfortunately, my “shop manual” has not yet arrived and all of my searching for specific suggestions here have failed to find clear answers about my specific problem: No 4WD light, no Axle Lock light, and no apparent response from pushing on Diff lock switch.

2. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The Axel Lock on the dash may be the same as my Dif Lock light on my 91 DB51
    If not in 4wd try just pushing it in, mine goes out!
    Comes back on when I put in FWD (and I get an extra LOW