1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing Etest

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Jessf, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Jessf

Jessf Member

So, she failed the etest under grey market conditions pretty bad, according to the Tech at Canadian tire. I haven't picked up the truck yet, so i don't have to numbers in front of me.

Anyone know if this product is worth a shot?
    http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05063&S=Y

The truck has been sitting for a long time while I get it insured, at least 39-40days in my possesion alone. Not sure how long is say with the previous owner, he was a dealer so he didn't drive it much, or at all.

I suspect it's been sitting for far too long and I didn't drive it much (like 5 mins through the city, 50kmh) before getting to Canadian tire.

The numbers weren't even close, according to the guy. So, apart from the product I've shown above, what should I consider before going to another, Etest.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

First put some seafoam in the tank (Canadian Tire is carrying it for a trial period right now)..check all your vacuum hoses,air filter,plugs/wires..return timing to stock (around 9 degrees btdc)..and run it for a while. It can't just idle it needs a good long run if possible to burn off the crap in the exhaust and heat the catalytic converter to proper temp

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

drive it for a good 200km's with Seafoam in it. then it should Clear it up.

4. Jessf

Jessf Member

thanks dudes.

the test went as follows

for the ASM, she passed the HC ppm and the CO% test.

for the Curb idle, it failed by almost tripple the limits.

I bought some CRC Guranteed to Pass stuff I read good things about. I've driven it 60km since yesterdays etest. I want to run the tank low before putting in this stuff.

should I fill up with 91 octane? I read that E85 ethinol is a way of reducing your emissions but I called and they only put it in Flexfuel cars.

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

seafoam + road trip!! :D

6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

NO E85!! bad stuff!!

some premium fuel might help it run better. worth a few bucks if it helps pass safety.

7. Jessf

Jessf Member

assume I don't have a timing light, is there another way of observing the timing?

I was thinking that it passed while running, but failed while idling, why don't I just turn the idle screw a few turns and bring my idle up, in addition to all the other things people have suggested. I suggest this, cause when you first start the truck, the idle is a bit high until you've ran it for a bit. When you come to a stoplight, the idle drops really low and when I go to accelerate again, then engine bogs for a split second before reving up. Sounds like i'm rich on the low speed jet (or something). Eitherway, the idle comes way down after it's ran for a while, so if they did the idle test after the running test, the really low idle may account for the failure. If they did the idle first, might be a different storey.

anybody have a link to this seafoam so I can take a look, they seem to make several products for vehicles.

I was also told these subarus didnt' have a catalytic converter. Is that true?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. fupabox

9. Jessf

Jessf Member

she passed.

It was the air fuel mix screw on top of the carb, next to the idle screw. 1/4 turn made all the difference.

runs like a champ. Picked up some seafoam from canadian tire, will give that a go.

:D

10. fupabox

congrats on the pass...:)

11. bcjj

bcjj New Member

Do you remember the numbers of the etest. I tested my Sambar and failed both asm and idle hc limit 318ppm result 476ppm Co limit 2.52%- result-6.91% Idle hc limit 300ppm result-666ppm Co%1.5 result was 0.14-ok
    I was just wondering if your results were similar. Before I go back for a re-test. Than

12. Jessf

Jessf Member

for the failed test:

HCppm was 251
    Co% was 0.24
    NOppm 2966
    =pass

idle was
    HCppm was 1096
    Co% was 8.84
    NOppm N/A
    =fail

I ran a can of the "Guaranteed to Pass", drove it for a while, adjusted the fuel air mixing screw and it passed just fine.

there's not much you can do to these engines, it's a basic motorcycle carb. best thing you can do is lean it out a bit and perhaps adjust the timing if it's not tuned properly.

13. fupabox

yeah timing will kill etest every time...put it to 8 degrees to do the test then set it to 12-14 afterwards for that extra bit of low end torque...as jessf mentioned the idle air screw will kill your idle test if it's too rich or too lean

14. r/c guy

r/c guy Member

Sambar e-test

Mine failed miserably also!
    I have a fuel injected model (clover 4) so what can I do to help?
    I put injector cleaner and high octane gas in it and took it out for a good high speed run before bring it in and it was over the limit by 3X.
    I have a cat. on it but I don't think it's stock. The O2 sensor wire is not hooked up to anything because I don't think it was original equipment.
    Here are the readings;
    asm 2525: HC ppm limit 66, reading 306
    CO % limit 0.37, reading 6.52
    NO ppm 968, reading 292
    Curb Idle: HC ppm limit 200, reading 718
    CO % limit 1.00, reading 11.76
    NO ppm limit N/A, reading N/A
    Can anyone make sense of this, any recommendations? :frustration:

15. We have custom made catalytic converters made for all of our trucks and they pass no problem. Since the engine design on most of the trucks is the same you could probably install one of our cats and pass no problem.

16. anthill

anthill Member

She's running rich. Are you sure the O2 sensor isn't original equipment? It is a fuel injected engine... I have a '94 and it has two O2 sensors.

17. bcjj

bcjj New Member

I have a 91 Sambar Carb not fuel inj, but I had AB Imports in Mississauga build me a new cat. For $100 custom built. Never had a re test, having a hard time getting insurace. Untill I get insurance no sense running the test. Unless any one can help with insurance isssues?

18. Jessf

Jessf Member

you might want to try Desjardine insurance. Last I heard they might not be accepting new policies but it's worth a shot. I'm with Desjardine and I've called to confirm that my policy will be carried forward. you might have to get in before the new year.

you need a driver's abstract, vehicle appraisal and a letter from previous insurer. Call to see if you can still get in, then get working on those items I mentioned above. It took me 40 days to get my truck insured with them, but the rate was lowest out there.

19. r/c guy

r/c guy Member

I tried phoning insurance companies for 8 hours straight with no luck!
    Then I told them I was a business owner and wanted to insure a vehicle.
    BAM! No problem.You'll need a copy of your Master business registration.

20. Lil Honda

Lil Honda New Member

You can get insurance from the Co Operators in Ontario. Not a bad rate either.

21. Jessf

Jessf Member

when did you get insured?

22. Lil Honda

Lil Honda New Member

Cooperators Insurance. They don't seem to shy away from right hand drive, their online quote even asks if it is right or left hand. I went through their Cobourg/Colborne office. Only requirement was that you must have a second vehicle and promise to bring it over when it's insurance comes up for renewal. They give a multi vehicle discount, think it was 15%. There was also a broker out in Kitchener or Cambridge that will cover right handers, can't remember their name, sorry.
    There is also a large American classic car insurer, that may cover these things as well, but it seems you can't drive them, only allowed to go to shows, and I think they will allow you to sit in it and make vroom sounds.

23. Jessf

Jessf Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. If Desjardin decides to drop me for whatever I'll give these guys a call.

24. Bosco rosco

Bosco rosco New Member

My 92 Sambar has no catalytic conveter ... recent visit to inspection station had inspectors driving back and forth over the under body camera at least 12 times looking for the non existing converter. Finally asked if I had one. Great fun ... held up the inspecion lane for 45 minutes. Finally as told "GET THAT THING OUT OF HERE!" Failed emissions big time.