1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k&n round air filter

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by ttc, Jun 8, 2015.

1. ttc

ttc Active Member

took the filter out of my 95 yesterday measured it and the k & n from a 2000ish Mercedes a140/a160 is a pretty close fit. my stock round was pretty much 152mm long for the metal body then the seals on each end add about another couple mm. Looks like i will have to glue in a rubber spacer on the cover end to make up the difference. Once I get the filter in my hands i will know more on the fitment and will post back.

Part E-9242 Product Specifications
    Air Filter Shape Round
    Filter Material Cotton Gauze
    Filter Re-Oiling Amount 1.31 oz (39 ml)
    Flanges None
    Height 5.938 in (151 mm)
    Inner Wire No
    Inside Diameter 2.438 in (62 mm)
    Outside Diameter 4.313 in (110 mm)

2. Thanx TTC!

Finding one is another story... everybody is either backordered or wants waaayy to much for an air filter.

If any one knows of a good source, please post up.

3. ttc

ttc Active Member

ya the spot my wife order from just changed the ship date.. :(

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

oh it was summit she ordered from and the order was shipped the other day. try at summit

5. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

I had the same problem, I did'nt want to pay some hoser $35 for a filter or a crazy shipping price from the States. however best-used-tractors.com in Oregon does have great prices for Americans. For us Canadians I used a Fram CA568. The trick there was to cut off the steel top off my old filter. OEM from Japan and silicon a 3/4 plywood to top. The top I scraped off old rubber gasket. and then used gorilla glue to glue steel and 3/4 " plywood togethor. NOTE : (Plywwod will have to be cut with same hole as before.) I filled bottom with gasket silicon that now seats on filter from Fram. I run dusty ranch roads all day and have not dusted my motor yet. all In, cost for fabricating my own filter $10. and $5 thereafter
    Tony 1996 Carry |Suzuki

6. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

I should ad that My 96 Carry made in the first part of the year with round headlights has the longer air filter.. The Fram CA568 air filter will probably be the same size as the short version used on later year models and afterwards.
    Tony

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

fed ex just dropped the filter and some other bits. ok so the od of the filter is same and the height of the filter is the same as the stock filter metal body in my truck. the stock filter has a rubber seal glued on both ends which now are glued onto the k&n filter. the inside diameter is a bit smaller so it is tight going on the center portion of the air box. but it can be pushed on. i actually took a olfa knife and trimmed some of the rubber to make it an easier fit. i will post up some pictures later today.

Tony Evers likes this.
  8. ttc

ttc Active Member

9. ttc

ttc Active Member

10. ttc

ttc Active Member

11. ttc

ttc Active Member

12. ttc

ttc Active Member

13. ttc

ttc Active Member

14. ttc

ttc Active Member

oh ya the filter was so bad when i got the truck i cut the paper off and put some uni foam i had laying around on it so i could run the engine with some sort of filtration in the driveway.

15. ttc

ttc Active Member

16. TTC, did you have an issue with idle after installing the filter. After I put mine in, the idle will not come down, stays at probably 2000 or so... suspecting a fuel/air ratio problem? Could this happen with just the increase that a K&N would give?

17. ttc

ttc Active Member

I dont have a tach yet as its coming in the mail. So I am not sure what the rpm is. And due to the filter being basically plugged I dont have any reference to how it would idle with a paper filter. I was looking at a wideband 02 setup dor data logging to play with.

18. ttc

ttc Active Member

I have also debated a filter sock. On my f650gs the k&n also came with a pre filter foam block to catch the nasty stuff.

19. You would have noticed the surge in rpm without a gauge... maybe completely unrelated but I think there is a link.

Also, after I installed the filter, the charging system light came on the dash... no correlation I know but kinda weird.

I do like the extra throttle response that the filter gave though.... just have to figure out how to get her to settle down.

20. ttc

ttc Active Member

I have only had the truck up and down the street, my wife has had of to work an back. But she never mentioned any issues with surging.

21. ttc

ttc Active Member

If you have surging issues then you are running lean. Do you have the exhaust altered?

22. ttc

ttc Active Member

The rpm rise and if it hangs points to lean also. I would have to look at the carb more and see how it works but its a CV carb similarl to a bike I thought. You could always put a washer under the main jet needle and tweek the idle air screw. But it may want an actual jet replacement.

23. ttc

ttc Active Member

Maybe a stupid question but did you get k&n oil to apply to the filter?

24. Don't they come pre oiled?

25. ttc

ttc Active Member

Not usually pick up a wash and oil kit and oil it up. That may restrict airflow a bit.

26. ttc

ttc Active Member

What about your exhaust? Modded any

27. Not yet... going to put a Allis Chalmers exhaust on it shortly.
    Do you have diagrams for the carb or do you know where the idle screw(s) are located? I seen a white plastic knob on the carb, is that the idle screw?
    Thanx...

28. ttc

ttc Active Member

Fupabox has a video on utube of the carb