1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front end rattle

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Jakester, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jakester

Jakester Member

Anyone have a rattle in the front of thier ACTY? My '95 rattles and it feels like its right under your feet when going over a rough road and. I checked and all seems tight under there. Is this normal or is something wore out?
    Thanks

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Not a Acty owner but IMO rattle = something worn out or loose

Checklist:

Shocks -[Conventional style] mounting rubbers both top and bottom. Also if McPherson strut style then upper mount where it swivels can get worn.

Sway Bar [if applicable to you] - usually mounted in rubber bushings and have end links with rubber in them.

Cab mount(s) - Are they ok, bolts not loose or missing?

Ball joints, tie rod ends, etc - These sometimes need close examination for wear, use a pry bar to wiggle them if neccessary.

Radiator - Usually has a rubber mount on it.

If you already checked all this then I'm out of ideas.

3. Jakester

Jakester Member

The rattle must be the sway bar. Its right under my feet and the only thing there is the sway bar. Its covered in rubber that will expand but I can't move it or rattle it by hand when I try to. Is this a wear point?

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Yes it is. The two rubber mounts that the sway bar sit in can wear out but usually it is the end links were they connect to the suspension that wear out.

5. hayseed

hayseed New Member

Jake - I have a 98 and the same rough surface rattle you do. Haven't figured mine out either. Although it does sound like it's coming from right under your feet, sometimes that can be misleading... I was thinking it might be the shocks limiting out, but really don't know. I honestly can't tell if it's coming on compression or rebound.

6. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

My 98 ACTY had a rattle that was right under my feet also and I found it to be a little play in the rack and pinion steering. To check this open the drivers door and kneel down with your left knee by the tire, reach under with your right hand and find the boot around the end of the rack, touch the end of the rack and move the steering wheel back and forth a little and see if you feel the rattle. If you do you need to adjust the rack guide a little. Crawl under and locate the steering box between the two boots. You'll see a large locknut with a smaller hex in the middle. Loosen the locknut(40mm) and tighten the smaller hex adjuster clockwise until you can no longer feel the rattle. It may only require a very small amount on adjustment. Don't over tighten it may cause binding and excessive wear.Mine only needed about 1/8 of a turn. It helps to put a chalk or soapstone mark on the small hex so you tell how much it turns. Tighten the locknut without moving the adjuster and turn the wheel from stop to stop to check for binding. If its good then your rattle should be gone.

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Remember this is your steering your messing with so if your not comfortable doing it leave it to a professional.
    Quote from Oldmachinist:
    i.e. if it binds your steering might lock up at a inopportune time :eek:

8. Jakester

Jakester Member

Thanks Old Machinist, I deduced today on my own that it is the steering that rattles. I have no experience with rack and pinion adjustments but I will try your suggestions. I will get back when I have adjusted. Thanks again!

9. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I guess my use of the word binding was too strong what I meant was to make sure it doesn't have any tight spots when you turn the wheel from stop to stop. This adjustment increases the spring pressure on the guide bushing the rack runs in and won't cause your steering to lock up it just might be a little tighter at the extremes of travel because of less wear. Just mark the small hex before you start and if there's a problem you can adjust it right back to where it was.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  10. chishwl

chishwl New Member

Tightening the steering fixed mine right off. Thanks Old Machinist

11. Jakester

Jakester Member

tie rod ends

I got the rattle fixed that was coming from the steering, thanks for the tip. Now I notice the right tie rod is rocking back and forth and hitting the steering mechanism in the middle of the truck. The left one is ok. Can I get ends from local parts dealers or are they special for the truck? Thanks

12. NowOrNeverrrr

NowOrNeverrrr New Member

Hey, I'm getting that noise below the floor too.

It's not as light as a rattle though...more like hard thump or knock.

Only happens at slow speed and when the wheels are turned. I've checked all the joints and they seem ok.

Driving along, I haven't heard that noise, only when driving over the curb into my driveway.

I'll see if I can adjust the steering as mentioned above. Will report back soon.

13. kbruce

kbruce Member

I tightened the Rack Guide Screw and eliminated a majority of the rattle... still rattles on rough ground/bumps.
    Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 9.41.11 PM.png

Tightening it more will eliminate the rattle but the steering is so tight, it will not self correct when releasing the steering wheel while moving. I guess I will live with occasional rattle here and there. I need to look around and see if there's a supplier who has rebuilt or new steering parts.

14. Dreponignee

Dreponignee New Member

Front end r

Has anyone actually put a full 1200 front end triples forks, wheel etc. on an 1100 frame..If so , was it direct slide-in or did you have to make new races etc for the triple clamps..???
    TIA
    chrly
    Ïðîôåññèîíàëüíîå îáîðóäîâàíèå è èíñòðóìåíò.

15. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

maybe the words "MINITRUCK" should have alerted you that this isn't a motorcycle forum :rolleyes:

16. monte

monte New Member

My Daihatsu Hijet has a popping noise when I move the steering wheel left or right. When I lift the front tires off the ground and move the steering wheel, the noise is still there. When I am under the truck and someone moves the steering wheel, and I place my hand on the steering rack it feels like the popping is coming from there. Any ideas?