1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ecvt does not clutch

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by forwardon, Jan 17, 2016.

1. forwardon

forwardon New Member

I removed safety neutral and when in gear it will start but move forward as if locked up same in reverse neutral will start up no problems in park runs for a secure than jams any advice would be appreciated the 1994 sambar dias 2 supercharged. .

2. Mylanman

Mylanman New Member

Sounds like your throttle position switch is stuck making the computer think the gas is pressed and accelerating. Try unplug the two wire connector to the brush assembly and see if the van will run without stalling. It is located behind the distributor on the engine.

Side Note: I tried to get two ECVTs working but I could not make it happen reliably. I swapped to a 6 speed manual, works great! The people who work on the Subaru Justy's have some resources that are somewhat helpful also.

3. forwardon

forwardon New Member

Thx for response I have tried that same problem I have heard of a bent bar holding clutch on what do u think should I try to apply voltage on and off to brushes and listen thx

4. Mylanman

Mylanman New Member

Applying voltage to the brushes should not make any sound, because there is no part moving inside the clutch.

The Clutch design in the ECVT is quite advanced, but also very simple considering the era in which it comes from. The electric current from the ECVT controller charges the electromagnetic powder inside the clutch. there is no solenoid or moving parts just the outer housing and the inner electromagnet connected via the slip rings to the brushes. although I have never seen this happen, perhaps your clutch is seized or broken in such a way as to cause it to not function correctly.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean.

A Picture of the electromagnet and bearing.
    And of the outer casing and powder.
    And this is a picture of the clutch from a Justy. Slip rings are on the shaft on top.

When it runs does it make a horrible sound from the clutch area. that would be a tell tale sign of a problem. If so it may be time to remove the engine and tranny and see what is really going on.

Good Luck, If you need any help let me know.

5. Mylanman

Mylanman New Member

Did you get anywhere with this? Is it working?

6. Philr

Philr New Member

I am having a similar, but more frustrating problem - Was driving the Sambar and the Clutch Temp light came on, high revs, little drive and led me to believe clutch/ gearbox faulty.
    Took into garage who advised a replacement gearbox, which I have got and had installed. However, now the van won't drive, the clutch temp light is still on, it will go into reverse and drive a little bit, but wont go into D and move forwards. Is there something obvious we are missing? Does the selector need to be setup? Why would the clutch temp light be on after a replacement and on startup?

7. william Yarosh

william Yarosh New Member

How hard was this to do