1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'69 sambar?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by mad659, Dec 4, 2015.

1. mad659

mad659 Member

Hi Gents, I have been on the Daihatsu threads as I have a couple of Hijets. I have just been offered a, supposedly, 1969 Subaru Sambar. The problem is that the picture that was shown to me is definitely a first generation Sambar van which happens to be left hand drive. He bought it from a freind a long time ago. Says it was running before they took it apart, also has a moon roof ( more likely a ragtop as per his description of it). He says the ''moonroof'' has all its frame but no cloth.
    I would like to know if it is possible at all that this could actually be a '69?
    Were first generation sambars exported as left hand drives up to later years?
    Was a moonroof an option?
    Looks like a very rare kei truck. Maybe someone can have some more info on these.

2. mad659

mad659 Member

Still not certain what this is. Here is a pic of the front end that was sent to me today. Looks like a first generation but the signal lights are like 2nd gen. Can anyone help in identifying this van?

Attached Files:

3. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

It looks Sambar-ish. Possibly a '61-66 Sambar 360 Van, based on that picture. It's also possible that they Frankensteined some different Sambars together (different signal lights added on at the very least), the shiny new paint would indicate to me that they've done some cosmetic work. LHD is possible as these Kei's were actually imported to the US, and were wildly unpopular. See if you can get pics of the VIN plate or engine, or all the other pieces of the truck! A partial pic of a partial truck would be a no-go for me.

4. mad659

mad659 Member

Took a look at the van. Totally no good. I think that if it was a horse, I'd shoot it. All bondo, rusted floor etc. The only thing interesting is that the front end was stock. The, almost unreadable title, said it was a 1969. Weird.